• Published 10th May 2013
  • 8,018 Views, 223 Comments

The Road To Recovery - unicorn92243



Sequel to Scootaloo's Painful Secret. Now that Scootaloo is away from her abusive parents and in the custody of Rainbow Dash, she can focus on recovering from the trauma she was put through and getting on with her life.

  • ...
21
 223
 8,018

3. Cheating and a Checkup

Chapter 3

Cheating and a Checkup

The next day at school Miss Cheerile handed out a surprise quiz. Scootaloo was caught unprepared. Looking down at the quiz she knew she SHOULD be okay, it was just going over things they’d already learned, but she felt panicked. What if she got too many answers wrong? What if she failed and made Rainbow Dash disappointed in her?

Looking around frantically she caught sight of Twist near her. As sneakily as possible, she started copying her paper. After all, Twist always seemed to get good grades.

She was halfway done when suddenly her teacher’s hoof came down on top of her paper. Scootaloo froze for a moment before she slowly looked up at Miss Cheerile’s disapproving gaze. Her teacher took her paper away from her.

“Scootaloo, you will wait with me here after school until Rainbow Dash comes to pick you up,” she said firmly.

Scootaloo gulped. She was doomed.

After school when Rainbow arrived, Miss Cheerile instructed Scootaloo to wait at her desk while she went out and talked to her. Scootaloo could only hear the murmur of their voices, but she got the feeling that she was in big trouble.

When Rainbow Dash finally came in to fetch her, the look of anger and disappointment on her face was almost too much for the filly to bear.

“We need to have a serious talk when we get home Scootaloo,” Rainbow Dash said firmly.

The walk home was silent. Scootaloo didn’t know what to say. Her head hung, her ears laid back in shame. Rainbow marched her straight home and once inside she gestured for her to sit on the couch. Scootaloo did so, trembling.

“Why Scootaloo? Just tell me why you thought it was a good idea to cheat on your quiz?”

“I… I was scared I might fail it, and I didn’t want to let you down,” the filly sniffled as her eyes filled with tears. “I… I didn’t want you to be disappointed in me.”

“Scootaloo, I would rather for you to get an honest F then a dishonest A. If you had failed the quiz it would only mean that you needed to get more help on your schoolwork, that’s all. You know that cheating is wrong don’t you?”

“Y-yes but-”

“No, no buts,” Rainbow interrupted. “You did something you knew was wrong Scootaloo, and I’m afraid I have to punish you for that.”

Scootaloo’s eyes got wide as she remembered some of her mother’s “punishments.”

“Wh-what are you going to do? Are you gonna spank me?” She whimpered.

Seeing how frightened the filly was, Rainbow felt her heart melt a little.

“No kiddo, I think you’ve been hit and spanked way too much as it is. But you are grounded for a week, which means no crusading and no dessert.” She pulled Scootaloo into a hug, which the filly gladly returned.

“All I ask is for you to do your best Scootaloo, so no more cheating.”

“No more cheating,” Scootaloo agreed.


A couple of days after Scootaloo’s grounding ended, it was time for her to go get a check up from the doctor. Rainbow Dash watched while Dr. Clamp, a pale green earth pony with a stethoscope for a cutie mark looked her over. She noticed that he seemed to be especially taking a close look at her wings.

After giving Scootaloo a piece of candy for being good, he asked her to wait in the waiting room while he talked to Rainbow Dash.

“Well Miss Dash, Scootaloo is in pretty good health. However, her wings do concern me.”

“What do you mean Dr. Clamp?”

“They’re stunted, much smaller than they should be at her age. If they don’t start getting bigger and stronger by the time that she’s grown… she may never be able to fly.”

Rainbow felt stunned. Her mouth opened and closed several times before she finally managed to whisper what she was thinking.

“Are you saying… she may be handicapped?”

“I’m afraid so yes, but we won’t really know until she’s grown. There’s still a chance her wings can catch up to the rest of her body as she ages. It’s something we’ll need to keep an eye on. Make sure she keeps her wings exercised, it will help.”

“Th-thank you doctor,” Rainbow managed to nod.

After going to the doctor Rainbow let Scootaloo run off with her friends, while she joined her own friends at Twilight’s library, as she had called them there.

“What’s this all about Rainbow?” Asked Apple Jack.

Rainbow Dash explained to them all what the doctor had said.

“Oh no, poor Scootaloo,” said Fluttershy sadly.

“Are you going to tell her what the doctor said?” Asked Twilight.

“I don’t know, do you all think I should?” Rainbow looked worried.

“I think that’s up to you Rainbow darling,” said Rarity.

“I don’t think I can tell her, not yet, it would devastate her, and there is still a chance…” Rainbow bit her bottom lip.

“Ooo! Ooo! She may not be able to fly on her own, but I have the next best thing! I have a great idea!” Pinkie bounced up and down joyfully.

The next day in the park it was nice and windy, perfect for what Pinkie’s plan had been. Rainbow and Scootaloo’s friends all gathered around to watch as Rainbow carefully tied the rope around Scootaloo’s waist.

“You ready Scootaloo?” Rainbow asked her.

“Ready!” The filly beamed, her wings started to flap as fast as a humming bird.

“Then lets go!”

Rainbow picked up the rope in her mouth and started running, letting the rope trail out behind her until Scootaloo felt the pull, then she started running as well. Then Scootaloo jumped into the air and Rainbow ran even faster. Bit by bit, Scootaloo rose into the air, Rainbow tugging her from below as she pulled her like a kite. Everypony cheered as she spread out her wings like she was soaring. It was the closest that Scootaloo had ever come before to real flying.


And she loved it.


Rainbow and Scootaloo flying.

Author's Note:

I'mmm baaack!

(Picture found on google image search.)