• Published 13th May 2013
  • 2,015 Views, 29 Comments

Lyra's Big Idea - AstroStar



When her idea for 'Equestria Girls' gets rejected, Lyra takes matters into her own hooves.

  • ...
1
 29
 2,015

The Aftermath

Lyra paced back and forth in the theater hall. It was now empty save for herself, Derpy, Bon Bon and the Mane six. She was waiting for the final verdict to come down on the movie from the Mane 6. Everypony had long since filed out of the screening a while back. From the initial reaction, it seemed like 'Equestria Girls' went over well with the audience. However, Lyra was too busy fretting over some of the errors and plot holes that still existed in the final product to notice how the audience was reacting. Her worries still lingered on at this point, well past the end of the movie. As she looked at the opposite corner of the hall where the Mane 6 were huddling up, Derpy and Bon Bon tried their best to calm their friend down.

"I blew it! I just know that they're gonna say I blew it," Lyra fretted.

Derpy got up and nudged Lyra back to her seat. "Calm down Lyra. Don't be so hard on yourself."

Bon Bon nodded. "Besides, it sounded like everypony loved the movie."

Lyra shook her head. "They were all being polite because I was here. I just know it. They didn’t want to hurt my feelings. In fact, Pinkie and the others are probably trying to figure out the best way to tell me they hated it."

"Why are you so worried about what the six of them think?" Bon Bon asked.

"At the very least, they're the stars of the movie, and I don't know if they'll be satisfied with the way they were portrayed, especially considering that I had them hating each other for a while. It's not just that though, I just have to know if they think 'Equestria Girls' was as good as the show itself."

"Whatever they think though, Hasbro's still releasing it," Derpy reminded her.

Lyra took another look at the huddle occurring at the opposite end of the room. "That won't matter at all if they all hate it."

Bon Bon and Derpy could only watch on nervously as Lyra continued to pace back and forth. After several excruciating minutes for the three, they noticed the Mane 6 break away from the huddle. Bon Bon tapped the nervous Lyra on her shoulder.

"Lyra, they're coming this way!"

Lyra turned to see the six ponies heading her way. She gulped. "Well, this is it."

Lyra slowly trotted to meet them halfway. Bon Bon and Derpy followed close behind, anxious themselves for what the final verdict of Equestria Girls would be from its stars.

"We came to a consensus, Lyra," Twilight reported.

Lyra gulped again. "So… what did you think?"

Twilight shot a glance over to Rainbow Dash. The pegasus sighed as she began. "Lyra? I’ll be frank. I never liked this whole Equestria Girls thing since we first found out about it. The idea was weird, the premise sounded weak, and I thought the designs were… if I could put it as nicely as possible, complete garbage."

Lyra cringed. That was nicely? she thought.

Rainbow Dash continued. "Long story short, I thought it was going to suck big time going into today. And after actually seeing the whole thing, well… me and the girls talked about it and… they all agreed with me on this."

Lyra ears dropped. "They did?"

The other five ponies looked down in shame in response. Lyra fell to her haunches in disbelief. No... It can't be...

"I’m sorry Lyra," Rainbow Dash said. "but this is going to hurt me more than it will hurt you."

Bon Bon looked away before the tears came to her eyes. She couldn't stand to see her roommate like this, especially if this was how everything was going to end. Derpy was on the ground, her hooves clasped in front of her face, silently pleading for a positive resolution for her best friend. Lyra's head hung in resigned defeat. She was ready to hear the verdict, no matter how harsh she knew it would be.

"That movie was…"

Bad, awful, terrible, dreadful, atrocious, heck I'd take mediocre right now. Just tell me! Lyra screamed internally.

"So awesome!" Rainbow Dash squealed, her hooves pressed to her cheeks in delight.

Lyra looked up surprised. Did she just get the Rainbow Dash seal of approval? A quick glance at the smiles and nods from Rainbow's five friends confirmed that she wasn't hallucinating. Lyra was left bewildered. Bon Bon and Derpy looked at each other in shock.

"You liked it?" Lyra shouted.

"Lyra, we loved it!" Twilight smiled.

"It definitely was a pleasant surprise. I never thought I would have enjoyed it that much." Rarity added.

"I can’t believe I was ANGRY because this was coming out," Pinkie shook her head, still haunted over her previous actions. "I have to apologize to you all over again Lyra. ‘Equestria Girls’ was absolutely worth it."

"I give it two thumbs up!" Fluttershy smiled. "I mean if I had thumbs…"

"You did a bang-up job with everything," Applejack winked. "Although we better rein you in with how good you were were with this, otherwise the six of us would be out of a job!"

Lyra refused to believe what she was seeing. "You’re all not just saying that all that, right? You really, really liked it? Even with its flaws?"

Applejack went over to put a hoof around Lyra's shoulder. "Try not to sweat the small stuff, you know? If you spend too much time bucking one tree, you’ll never make it through to harvest the whole orchard."

"Besides," Pinkie added. "From a production standpoint, this was as good as anything we can come up with. The story, the music, the setting, and especially the characters. All the important aspects were in top form, including the most important aspect of all."

"What’s that?" Lyra asked.

"The magic of friendship," Twilight answered. "That’s the heart of everything we do in the show. And ‘Equestria Girls’ shows us that while some things change, the magic of friendship is always there."

"That’s what we’ve been trying to tell you girls this whole time!" Derpy spoke out.

Pinkie nodded in shame. "We know. We should have listened before. Actually, I should have listened. I was just so caught up about how different the human thing was that I never really wanted to give it a chance. And not only did that decision almost robbed us of a really great movie, it almost cost me a dear friend. From now on, I promise that I won’t judge a book by its cover and give everything a fair chance."

"Thanks Pinkie," Lyra blushed.

Pinkie smiled back to Lyra in response. She then turned around to her friends. "I think it’s time we have a vote girls. All in favor of giving ‘Equestria Girls’ our full support?"

One by one, they raised their hoof in show of support. First Fluttershy, then Twilight, then Applejack, Rarity, & Rainbow Dash. After a short pause, Pinkie raised her hoof as well.

"It’s unanimous!" Derpy shouted.

Twilight shook her head. "Not quite yet."

"What do you mean?" Lyra asked.

Fluttershy handled the explanation herself. "Equestria Girls is your idea Lyra, so it’s only fair that you have the final vote."

The smile on Lyra's face grew even wider. "Really?"

Rainbow Dash nodded. "What do you say, boss?"

The show of support overwhelmed Lyra. With her eyes watering with tears of joy, she raised her hoof.

"Now it’s official!" Pinkie announced. "Congratulations Lyra!"

Derpy couldn't take it anymore, she rushed over to Lyra and smothered her in a big victory hug.

"I'm so happy for you, Lyra!" the pegasus yelled.

It wasn't long before Bon Bon joined in too. The Mane 6 happily stayed back and let the three mares enjoy their moment. After a while, Bon Bon broke away from the hug.

"I have to tell Vinyl, Octavia, and Turner about this right now! I'll see you back at the house, Lyra!" Bon Bon waved a quick goodbye and galloped out of the theater to spread the good news.

A thought ran across Pinkie's mind over the mention of Lyra's other friends. "You know, we have to throw a party for you guys. You never really had a wrap-up party for the movie, did you?"

Lyra simple shrugged. "No, I guess we didn't. It would be nice to thank them all like that. I couldn't have done any of this without my friends."

"Speaking of friends," Twilight said, breaking into the conversation. "It sounded like you had a friendship report to deliver back there."

Pinkie giggled. "Yeah I do. Spike take a letter... wait, where's Spike?"

"He’s still in his seat." Fluttershy pointed over to where all of them were sitting during the screening. Spike was indeed sitting down in the seat, his face still frozen with the same shocked expression from the past few days.

"Geez Rarity. What did you do to him?" Rainbow Dash asked, prompting an unsure shrug from the white unicorn.

"Ok, we really need to snap him out of this now." Twilight observed.

Applejack scratched her head. "Hmm… lemme try something…" The cowpony slowly inhaled. "FREE GEMSTONE BUFFET!!!" she shouted.

The announcement snapped Spike back to consciousness. "Where? Where? I call dibs on the rubies!" He blinked as he became aware of his surroundings. "Wait... what am I doing in the movie theater?"

Twilight approached her little assistant. "Spike? What was the last thing you remember?"

Spike scratched his head. "I don't know, it's all kinda fuzzy. I remember that package being delivered though. Something about ‘Equestria Girls’ and humans and… oh I remember." He frowned as his memory focused on one particular image from the movie's guidebook.

"YOU TURNED ME INTO A DOG!!!" Spike pointed to Lyra in rage, making the green unicorn scramble back a bit.

Pinkie quickly went to calm Spike down. "It’s ok, Spike. We saw the whole thing already. And you know what, the whole thing isn't that big a deal anyway. I actually loved the movie."

Spike arched an eyebrow in confusion. "You did? Weren't you the one who went on a roaring rampage over the movie in the first place?"

"I got better..." Pinkie giggled nervously.

Rainbow Dash patted Spike on the back. "Trust me. This movie even won me over. I think You’ll love it."

"But… I’m a dog," Spike meekly protest.

"And I'm an alicorn," Twilight countered. "However, I'm still Twilight Sparkle, and you're still Spike. You might have been a dog, but you were still the same old Spike I know and love."

"Besides," Rarity smirked, "I just absolutely loved puppy Spike myself. Do you even know how popular cute puppies are among ladies?"

Spike blushed. "I guess there are a few perks to being a dog."

Twilight laughed. "Tell you what, how about we play the movie again just for you, Spike? That way you can see for yourself."

"I wouldn't mind seeing it again myself!" Pinkie concurred. "I really want to know about some of the specifics that went into..."

WHAM! CRASH!

Pinkie Pie didn't get a chance to finish her thoughts as loud noises came from the theater's back entrance. Evenrypony turned to notice what looked like an amber colored unicorn, with what looked like a red and yellow mane and tail and a sun shaped cutie mark, struggling to levitate several suitcases in front of her.

"Lyra! I made it! I’m here!" the new pony shouted.

Everypony stood frozen as the new pony made her entrance. After watching the movie, they all know who this mysterious newcomer was.

"Sunset Shimmer?" Twilight shouted in confusion.

"Uh oh..." Lyra bit her lip. She quickly went over to help Sunset Shimmer with her luggage.

"Sunset Shimmer is real? We thought you made her up!" Applejack said to Derpy.

Derpy nervously shook her head. "She's really a friend of Lyra's from Fillydelphia."

"Is she mean like in the movie?" Fluttershy began to back away in fear, memories of Sunset's more vile moments playing in her head.

Derpy nervously scratched the back of her head. This would need quite a bit of explanation. "No, not at all! She's really nice. Lyra really wrote her in the movie as an inside joke more than anything."

"But why would Lyra do something like that?" Twilight asked.

Derpy shrugged. "Well, you see..."

While Derpy tried to explain everything to the confused six, Lyra caught up with Sunset Shimmer and helped her with her luggage.

"Sunset? What the heck are you doing here?" Lyra asked her cousin.

"I heard you needed help with your project, so I came as soon as I could from Fillydelphia."

"Uh, thanks for coming Sunset, but the movie is finished now. I’m don't need help anymore."

Sunset frowned in disappointment. "Lyra! I told you I wanted to help."

"I'm sorry Sunset. But there wasn't any time to wait. Trust me, if I had enough time, I would have called you."

"It's ok, I forgive you." Sunset smiled. "So how did everything go?"

"I can't believe I'm saying this, but everything turned out more than fine. In fact, Hasbro's actually going to release it!" Lyra grinned.

Sunset got up from the floor and gasped in amazement. "Really? That’s great! Congratulations Lyra! When can I see it?"

Lyra shrugged nervously. There was one minor detail that she never told Sunset, and that was that she had made her friend the movie's antagonist. The inside joke seemed funny at the time, but now Lyra was starting to regret that decision. "Well I can screen it for you later. I just finished watching it myself with Twilight and her friends and…"

Sunset froze. "Wait… Twilight Sparkle? You mean she’s here?"

"Yeah, she’s over there with Derpy. So are her friends." Lyra pointed over to the other side of the room where the seven ponies were. Sunset's pupils shrunk as she laid her eyes on the purple alicorn. It was her! It was really her! She never thought she would live to see the day, but Sunset Shimmer had finally found Twilight Sparkle.

"Are you ok, Sunset?" Lyra asked.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!" Sunset screamed in delight. She ran full gallop towards the group, gaining their attention as she quickly grew closer. Twilight didn't have anytime to teleport herself out of the way before she was glomped by an over-ecstatic Sunset Shimmer.

"Oh… my… Celestia… You’re Twilight Sparkle!" Sunset screamed.

"Uh… yes, I am..." Twilight nervously confirmed.

Sunset began to violently and over-enthusiastically shake Twilight's hoof. "It’s an honor to finally meet you! I’m your biggest fan! Oh my gosh, I’m shaking hooves with Twilight Sparkle!"

"Its… nice to… meet you too… Sunset…" Twilight said while being comically shaken up and down.

Applejack quickly broke the two up, trying to spare Twilight anymore of Sunset's eagerness. "All right, Ah think that’s enough."

"APPLEJACK!!!"

"OOOF!"

Before she knew it, Applejack was caught in a bone-crushing embrace.

"Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! You’re really her! You’re really her!" Sunset's smile had encompassed half her face by this point.

"Need… Oxygen…" the cowpony strained.

Sunset reluctantly let her go, giving Applejack a moment to catch her breath. The newcomer began to notice the rest of the group.

"You’re Pinkie Pie! And you're Rarity! And Spike! *gasp* And Fluttershy!!! Could you cheer for me Fluttershy? Couldyoucouldyoupleeease?"

"Um, yay?"

Sunset jumped up and down and squeed. "EEEEEEEEEE!!! She did it! She did it!" Sunset finally noticed the cyan pegasus of the group, whose mouth was locked open in shock.

"Rainbow Dash! 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat. I salute your awesomeness, you wonderful mare you!" Sunset gave her a salute. Rainbow Dash remained shocked.

"Something wrong?" Sunset asked.

"You're Sunset Shimmer?!?" Rainbow Dash yelled in disbelief.

Sunset Shimmer gasped. "Wait. You know who I am? Did Lyra tell you guys about me?"

"Not everything," Lyra chuckled nervously. "I never mentioned that she's a really big fan of the show."

Sunset nodded proudly. "I really am! I’ve seen all of your adventures, and I absolutely love them! I love everything that you and your friends do, from saving Equestria to just singing a song! And I especially love it when you sing, Twilight. You have such a beautiful singing voice."

Twilight blushed. "Well, gee. Thank you!"

"And your songs just have so much heart to them." Sunset cleared her throat and closed her eyes as she began to sing.

"I was prepared to do my best
Thought I could handle any test
For I can do so many tricks
But I wasn't prepared for this.
Levitation would have been a..."

Sunset opened her eyes and noticed nine sets of jaws dropped from eight shocked ponies and one shocked dragon.

"Did I do something wrong?" she asked.

Rainbow Dash shook her head. "That was… freakishly good."

"It was like Twilight herself was singing." Fluttershy noted.

Twilight put a hoof to her forehead, trying to figure out how Sunset was able to pull off such a spot on impression. "How is this even possible? Sing another song, Sunset."

Sunset cleared her throat again.

"The time has come to welcome spring and all things warm and green…"

Before Sunset could sing the next line, Twilight cut in. "But it’s also time to say goodbye, it’s winter we must clean…

"How can I help, I’m new you see. What does everypony do?"

"How do I fit in without magic?"

"I haven't got a clue!" Sunset and Twilight finished the last line in unison.

The impromptu duet stunned everyone speechless. All except Derpy, who had her eyes closed and singing to herself.

"Winter wrap up, Winter wrap up!. Let’s finish up our…" The grey pegasus stopped as she became aware that her little sing-along had garnered everypony's attention. "What? It’s catchy!" she protested.

"Sunset, how did you do that?" Spike asked.

"It just came naturally, I guess," Sunset shrugged.

"I don’t know whether to be impressed or scared right now," Twilight muttered to herself.

Pinkie smiled awkwardly. "So... it’s nice to meet you, Sunset."

Sunset grinned. "The honor’s all mine! How did you hear about me, anyway?"

"Let’s just say that Lyra made you a major character in her movie," Rainbow Dash answered.

Sunset did a double take. "She did?!? What do I do, Lyra?" She gasped as she drew what she thought was the only logical conclusion. "You wrote me in as the seventh Element of Harmony did you? I can picture it now. Twilight Sparkle and her new best friend Sunset Shimmer saving the day from the forces of evil!"

The large room suddenly became uncomfortably small for the ponies who had seen the movie. They all smiled a nervous grin.

"Uh, you ain't exactly Twilight’s friend in the movie, sugarcube." Applejack pointed out.

The news caught Sunset off guard. "I’m not? Then what am I?"

Lyra's forced grin got even tighter. "Well…."

*One screening later*

"I’msorryI’msorryI’msorryI’msorryI’msorryI’msorryI’msorryI’msorryI’msorryI’msorryI’msorryI’msorryI’msorryI’msorry..."

Sunset Shimmer was bowing profusely at Twilight's hooves begging for forgiveness for her despicable actions on the screen. Rainbow Dash had her watch out as she was timing how long she had been repenting.

"How long has it been, Rainbow?" Rarity wondered.

Rainbow Dash took a look at her watch. "She just broke Fluttershy's apology record. That's actually impressive!"

After several previously unsuccessful attempts, Twilight was finally able to stop Sunset from apologizing. "It’s ok, Sunset. That wasn’t really you up there, remember? You never did any of that."

"I know," Sunset sniffed. "Lyra, how could you make me do all those things?"

"I’m really, really sorry, Sunset." Lyra said carefully. "It was an inside joke for me. I thought it would have been funny if I made you the antagonist in this movie."

"But... I was so mean..."

Applejack smiled. "The good news is that you got better at the end of the movie, and you also become our friend too! That counts for something, right?"

"I guess..." Sunset smiled a sad smile.

"Besides, you looked awesome as the bad guy." Rainbow Dash added.

"But that’s not really me."

"It's ok," Rarity reassured the unicorn. "You should see how Diamond Tiara really acts with the Cutie Mark Crusaders. She's actually really sweet."

"I hope I get a chance to meet them."

"You know," Twilight started to suggest, "We might as well introduce you to everypony at this point. After all, you are a part of the show now."

Sunset Shimmer's heart nearly stopped when she heard Twilight say those words. "I am?"

Fluttershy nodded. "It’s only fair. After all, you are in the movie and it is getting released."

Pinkie could only shrug. "This is probably the weirdest way we've ever brought anypony onto the show. But still, welcome to the ‘Friendship is Magic’ family, Sunset Shimmer."

Sunset squeed. "I’m a real part of the show! This is a dream come true! I used to wonder what friendship could be! Until you…"

Sunset could not continue as a purple hoof covered her mouth.

"No, Sunset," Twilight simply said. "Just… don’t."

Lyra looked around nervously. "Well, how about I show you around Ponyville, Sunset?"

"I’d love to!" Sunset gleamed. The two cousins began to walk out of the theater. "Do you think we could meet Cheerilee? Or how about Mayor Mare? Or Big MacIntosh! Oh, I have such a crush on him!"

"You and everypony else in Equestria" Lyra muttered under her breath

Everypony else watched as Lyra and Sunset left the theater hall.

"Well, ain’t that something?" Applejack chuckled.

Spike was still dumbfounded by the unexpected visit. "Who knew that Sunset Shimmer was that big a fan girl."

"I could only imagine what Flash Sentry would be like." Rarity wondered.

"He’s a very nice royal guard," Derpy noted. "I get to see him sometimes whenever Cadence comes over to visit Chrysalis."

"And what was Lyra’s special reason why she wrote him in the movie?" Spike asked.

Derpy smiled sheepishly. "Well, I kinda owed him 50 bits from a poker game. Lyra wrote him in the script to make up for it."

Twilight arched an eyebrow "Really? Well that answers that question I guess."

"At least that sideplot didn’t take too much away from the main story," Pinkie shrugged.

"Or the one about me being a dog," Spike added.

Rainbow Dash turned to Spike, "So what did you think of the movie?"

"You guys were right," Spike chuckled. "The dog thing wasn't really a big deal after all. Besides, that movie rocked!"

Twilight giggled. "It really did, Spike. And it's made me very curious about inter-dimensional travels. I have to see if I can borrow any books from Celestia about that."

"Well, you could always just step through the mirror and find out for yourself," Derpy suggested.

Twilight laughed. "Yeah, I'm pretty sure that really doesn't exist."

"Besides," Rarity elaborated, "we were all over the Crystal Empire this past year, and we never saw it."

"The mirror isn’t in the Crystal Empire," Derpy explained. "It’s still in Canterlot."

That bit of information grabbed everypony's attention.

"You see, Derpy began. "Lyra had originally planned for Twilight to miscast a spell to send her to the human world in the movie. But then Chrysalis told us about the mirror and how it works, so we used that instead. But we added that 30 moons bit to create a bit of urgency for the movie. The mirror is really active every full moon."

"So the mirror is real after all?" Twilight asked.

"Yep!"

Twilight put a hoof to her chin. "Hmm…"

~~~~~

It wasn't long before the next full moon shone over Equestria, activating the mirror's magical pathway. Twilight Sparkle found herself face to face with the mirror. She was surrounded in the castle's mirror room by her five friends, the two royal sisters, and her number one assistant.

"Are you sure about this, Twilight?" Princess Celestia asked. "Nopony has stepped through the mirror in ages, and I’m fairly certain that the world that lies at the other end is not the same one from Lyra’s movie. This could be dangerous."

Twilight sighed. "I’m sorry your highness, but I just need to know. If it looks too dangerous, I promise I’ll come right back. But there’s a whole world on the other side of that mirror and I need to know just what it is."

"Just remember the homing spell," Luna said. "Should you get lost along your way, you can use it to find your way back to the mirror on your side."

Twilight nodded. "Trust me, I will."

Twilight turned to her friends. Much like the events of the movie, that had all argued to go along with her, but the issue of keeping the worlds balanced forced them to stay behind and to leave the traveling to just herself and Spike. Everypony had agreed that Spike would more than likely run in after her like he did in 'Equestria Girls', so they simply allowed Spike to join Twilight from the outset.

"Well, I’m just about set, girls," Twilight informed her friends.

"There’s absolutely no way we can talk you out of this, huh?" Pinkie asked.

Twilight smiled an apologetic smile. "It's ok. It’s just for a little while. I promise I’ll be fine."

With a few tears in everypony's eyes, the six friends shared a loving group hug.

"Good luck, Twilight."
"Be strong, Twi."
"Be safe."
"We’ll be here waiting."
"We love you, Twilight."

"Thanks girls." Twilight wiped a tear from her eye. Taking a deep breath, she broke away from the group hug and trotted right in front of the mirror, her number one assistant right by her side.

"Ready, Spike?"

Spike smiled. "Even if I turn into a dog, I'm ready."

Twilight exhaled. "Ok then, here we go."

Without any hesitation, Twilight and Spike stepped into the mirror. Almost instantaneously, the mirror's magic pulled on the two of them as they spiraled into a whole new dimension.

<><><><><>

"Ugh… my head…"

Consciousness was slowly returning to Twilight. She slowly opened her eyes, mentally preparing herself for whatever this new strange universe would throw at her. She absolutely did not expect what she got when she opened her eyes. The same exact room she left from. She took a quick glance at her hooves. Yep, still hooves. She was still a pony.

Well, I guess it didn't work. I'm right back where I started. she thought. Her voice did sounded a bit off, it seemed much lower than normal actually, but she brushed that concern aside as a side effect from her waking back up.

"You’re back already? Geez, what kind of a lame trip was that anyway?" a deep voice shouted from the other side of the room. Twilight blinked. She didn't recognize that voice. It was rough, edgy, and most telling of all, it was undoubtedly male.

Twilight turned to see that she was face to face with a blue cyan pegasus with a multi-hued mane, hovering just above from her. She would have labeled this pony as Rainbow Dash. The cutie mark was right, but Rainbow Dash wasn't as big as this pony, or had as sharp a muzzle, or had her mane up in spikes, or had her eyebrows made up as lightning bolts. And the last time she checked, Rainbow Dash definitely never had a p... Sweet Celestia! Rainbow Dash was a stallion!

"Rainbow Dash?!?" Twilight shouted in alarm.

The pegasus arched an eyebrow in confusion. "Rainbow Dash? What the… Have you been reading that fanfic again, Dusk?"

Twilight slowly turned her head around to where her other four friends and the two royal sisters were standing when she stepped through the mirror. And there they all were, all six of them. All six stallions.

Twilight recoiled in horror at the sight of her friends and mentors as stallions. She backpedaled away from them, much to their confusion. Wha... what happened to everypony?

"Ugh… no more ice cream please." Spike muttered as he stirred awake. He immediately noticed his dragon claws. "Hey sweet! I’m not a dog!"

Twilight did a double take. It looked like Spike, but this baby dragon looked more feminine than normal.

"Spike?"

Spike didn't recognize the deep voice at first. He turned around to see who called his name. His jaw dropped as he realized that voice belonged to a young purple alicorn stallion.

"Twilight? Wha... What happened to you?"

"What do you mean what happened to…" Twilight grabbed her throat in alarm. It wasn't a hallucination. It really was deeper. "My voice!" Twilight scrambled as she finally took notice of the changes that had occured to her body. "My mane! My muzzle!" Twilight blanched as she felt another change down below. "My… my…"

"Your pride?" Spike suggested.

"AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!" Twilight screamed. She then began to hyperventilate, unable to cope with the shock of being turned into a stallion.

Spike on the other hand, was finally noticing that he was now a girl. This is probably the second worse thing that could happen to me. At least it can't get any worse, he thought.

"Uh, could somepony please explain to us just what in Solaris’ name is going on here?" the white unicorn stallion asked.

Spike froze as he recognized the stallion's color scheme, and his cutie mark.

"Rarity?" he squeaked. Overwhelmed, Spike fainted unconscious to the ground.

"Rarity? Why did Barb say that?" the yellow pegasus stallion asked.

The orange stallion scratched his head. "That mirror must have done something to their brains."

"Brother, do you know what might have caused Dusk to act this way?" the blue prince asked.

"I think I have a hunch, Artemis." He stepped forward and addressed Twilight. "Do not be alarmed. I am Prince Solaris, ruler of Equestria. And that is my brother, Prince Artemis. I understand that you’re distressed right now but I must ask you a question. Do anyone of us look familiar to you?"

Twilight stammered. "No! I mean, Yes! I mean… I don’t know anymore."

The orange earth stallion quickly grabbed Twilight in alarm. "Dusk, it’s us! We’re you’re friends remember? That’s Bubble Berry, Butterscotch, Elusive, Rainbow Blitz, and Ah’m Applejack." He pointed to the pink, yellow, white and cyan stallions respectively before pointing to himself.

Twilight shook her head. "But you can’t be Applejack! You look like her but, you’re not…"

Applejack blinked. "Hold on, Ah look like her?"

Butterscotch's eyes went wide as he started to realize what was going on. "Wait a minute… It is just like that fanfic! The one where we accidentally wind up in an alternate dimension where we meet our genderswapped selves!"

Bubble Berry gasped. "The rule 63 universe! The fans really were onto something!"

"Rule 63?" Rainbow Blitz shouted. "You mean to tell me there’s a universe where that filly-faker actually exists?"

Elusive rolled his eyes. "We just saw Harpsy’s movie where we were all humans. You shouldn’t be that surprised."

"Besides, judging from the fanart Hasbro sent us, ya make for a cute filly RB," Applejack smirked, which prompted a very audible annoyed growl from Rainbow Blitz.

Bubble Berry, meanwhile, finished connecting the dots. "So if we are dealing with the rule 63 universe, then that means you’re not Dusk Shine. You’re… Twilight Sparkle?"

Twilight nodded. She then fell on her now-male haunches and began to sob. "I want to go home. I don’t want to be a stallion."

Applejack put a hoof on Twilight's shoulder. "It’s ok, it’ll be all right… er… sugarcube? Is that what Ah say over there?"

"I guess so," Bubble Berry shrugged.

Elusive was lost deep in his thoughts. "So the other side of the mirror is the genderswapped universe. Interesting…"

"Hmph.. I’ll show that Rainbow Dash a thing or two…" Rainbow Blitz crossed his hooves as he grumbled.

Solaris sighed. "Well, we better make miss Twilight Sparkle and Spike as comfortable as possible before they are able to return home."

Butterscotch froze as a chilling realization came to him. "Wait guys. If Twilight is here, that means Dusk is…"

Everypony in the room froze as the came across the same thought.

Elsewhere...

A purple alicorn stallion-turned-mare sat on the floor in the fetal position, stroking his tail in comfort, tears streaking from his eyes. The pony's baby dragon companion had passed out cold upon seeing a completely different version of her beloved Elusive. The seven other mares in the room look on nervously.

"I’m a proud stallion! I’m a proud stallion! I’m a proud stallion!" The alicorn repeated that mantra again and again.

"We might want to consider locking that mirror up when Twilight gets back." Pinkie suggested.

Author's Note:

I don't know exactly how much I'm spoiling in this chapter, but to be on the safe side, I included the warning at the top of the chapter. Hope that's ok for everyone.

For those of you who couldn't guess, the fanfic was "On a Cross and Arrow" by Connie Conner Cogwork.

And stay tuned, the next chapter will be the last chapter!