• Published 9th Feb 2012
  • 23,098 Views, 773 Comments

Upheaval: Breaking Point - Visiden Visidane



A desperate war, old enemies returning and past mistakes come together to alter Equestria forever.

  • ...
49
 773
 23,098

Silken Darkness

Upheaval: Breaking Point

Chapter 33: Silken Darkness

"I have to attend the General Logistics Meeting," Hammer Chain told Rarity. "Just watch the smithy, and do what you can for the day. I'll take care of any orders meant for me as soon as I get back."

With that, Rarity found herself in charge of the smithy, a prospect that filled her with both a sense of achievement, and nervousness. It was flattering that she had only been Hammer Chain's apprentice for a few days, but was entrusted with this much already. That made disappointing him even more nerve-wracking.

Fortunately, she didn't have to do it alone. Spike stoked the green-lit forge nearby. Hammer Chain was a little suspicious of using dragon breath for forging at first, but he eventually decided that there were no side-effects and that it was a quick way to start up the forge.

With Hammer Chain gone, however, Rarity didn't have much use for the forge. She asked Spike to keep it going in case he came back early, or if she needed to make bolt-heads and buckles. She had to admit that metalwork did give her as much of a sense of satisfaction as piecing together a dress. The ridiculous amount of heat from working at a smithy, and the sweat that accompanied it, on the other hoof, left much to be desired.

"I hope he comes back soon," Rarity said. She had been looking forward to a lesson, sweltering forge heat and all. She pulled out a tattered piece of leather; the first order of the day. Last night, the pegasi of Reconnaissance completed a successful raid. However, success came with a price. When morning rolled in, there was plenty of damaged leather barding making their way to Hammer Chain's smithy.

"I don't," Spike grumbled. "My back's still sore from all that stuff he had me lift yesterday."

"You did say you wanted to help, Spike," Rarity replied. "Hammer Chain was just being prudent, that's all."

Spike stretched his back out, and groaned. "I didn't know prudence was so painful," he muttered.

"Oh, come now," Rarity scoffed. "You should be glad that the Legion has a place for you." Rarity lifted a chest piece with her magic. The straps that held it together had all but rotten off. "Goodness, just look at this! You'd think that legionnaires would know better than to leave leather to soak in water. This one simply has to go. Spike, be a dear, and fetch me those scissors, will you?"

Spike was quick to jump at the request. "Here you go," he said.

The scissors had just been enveloped by Rarity's magic when the door opened. Both of them looked towards the smithy's first visitor. "Our sincerest apologies," Rarity said. "Master Hammer Chain isn't available at the moment and-- oh, my stars!"

It took all of Rarity's willpower to keep her jaw from dropping, but she was still reduced to silently staring at the visitor. Beside her, Spike didn't even get to say a thing before being reduced to a wide-eyed statue.

Standing by the doorway was a beautiful unicorn mare. Her coat was a lustrous golden-tinged white. Her flowing, golden mane, and tail were mere inches from the floor. Her soft gray eyes looked past sweeping eyelashes. She was wearing a wolven fur coat, but the fur was pristine white rather than gray. "A pity," she said. "Fortunately, I'm not looking for Hammer Chain at the moment. I was hoping to find his new apprentice."

"New apprentice?" Rarity asked. She looked around. She had never heard of-- "Wait. I'm the new apprentice. Y-you're looking for me?"

The unicorn laughed briefly. "Yes, I am." Her silky, deep tone sent tingles down Rarity's spine. With her magic, she lifted a mage-coat that had been draped over her back. "I saw you the other day wearing splendidly designed mage-coat. Would you modify mine in the same manner? I will pay a fee for your trouble of course."

"I-I certainly would!" Rarity answered. "It's an honor that you would find my design splendid, Miss, um…"

"You may call me Bright Flame. I am but a minor noble from Hearthstone City."

'Nobility!' Rarity thought. 'No wonder! This is a good chance to impress!'

The prospect of encountering nobility in Prince Terrato's realm had been in the back of Rarity's mind since they had arrived. The Northern Barrier Land was a hard and savage place; a wilderness uninfluenced by ponies, and besieged by both freezing weather, and monstrous creatures. She had held out a hope that there was a place for elegance and sophistication. It had started out as a small hope when she had first arrived from the Heartland. It had become resolve, a full-blown principle even, when she first held up the mage-blades crafted by Hammer Chain. Just because something was dangerous didn't mean that it couldn't be beautiful as well. The Barrier Lands, with all the violence and savagery within them, still had plenty of room for class and nobility. Lady Bright Flame just proved her right.

"It is my pleasure to meet you, Lady Bright Flame," Rarity said. She was beaming inside, but she took care to maintain a composed exterior. She had already embarrassed herself enough. "My name is Rarity."

"The pleasure is mine, Rarity," Bright Flame replied. "I never imagined that I would meet one of Princess Celestia's chosen one day."

The word "chosen" brought Rarity up short. It was often said with derision. At best, it was said in indifference. This was the first time she had heard it spoken as something praiseworthy. "Thank you," she replied. "I'll get to work on it right away." She put aside the leather barding she had been cutting up. This was nobility she was talking about. Of course it was going to take top priority. "It should be ready in a couple of hours."

"I will wait then," Bright Flame said. She sat by one corner of the forge. "I hope you don't mind observers. I would love to see how you work."

Rarity coughed nervously. "I don't mind," she said, "but it is rather warm in here with the forge and everything. Are you sure you'll be fine?"

"Staying in Bastion City has accustomed me to small discomforts," Bright Flame replied. She focused on Spike, who hadn't stopped staring during the entire conversation. "I dare say it has been worth being trapped within this city by a wolven attack to encounter both a chosen and a dragon. What is your name, little one?"

Spike wiped his mouth with the back of his claw before answering. "I-It's Spike," he said. "It's really wonderful to meet you, Lady Bright Flame. It's almost worth getting banish-- ow!" He clutched his tail, and looked behind him. Rarity was walking off to begin her modifications when she had trod on his tail. By accident of course.

"Oops. Sorry about that, Spike."

"A young dragon together with a chosen." Bright Flame said. "You must have a fascinating tale, Spike." Her horn flashed a dark aura.

'That's odd,' Rarity thought. 'Did she just cast a spell? I don't see anything happening.'

"Oh, I can tell you all about it!" Spike said. Despite his throbbing tail, he was eager to impress.

Bright Flame leaned over with interest, a slight smile curving her lips. "Please do," she said. "I wouldn't mind starting at the beginning."

Spike started to grin a little foolishly at Bright Flame's staring. "R-right," he replied. "From the beginning it is!"

An hour passed since Rarity started on the mage-coat. She could be working faster, but her attention kept going to Bright Flame, who sat there listening intently while Spike told stories about the Heartland. At first, she was worried that Spike would quickly bore Bright Flame, but that didn't seem to be the case.

Spike had not been joking when he said that he was starting at the very beginning. His first story was his first meeting with Twilight, which was just after he had hatched. From there, he launched into anecdote after anecdote. It was a marvel just how in depth Spike's stories were. For one so young, Spike had an incredible ability to remember events. He had an encyclopedic mind, and an eye for details, both likely honed by years of being Twilight's unofficial secretary, and housekeeper. He told stories of Twilight's foalhood, and her studies likely better than even Twilight could.

When Spike's stories dipped into his time in Ponyville, however, things began to get a little embarrassing. Every time his narrative wandered a little too close for comfort, Rarity would clear her throat to warn him away. As the morning wore on, she was hoarse from clearing her throat too much.

Through it all, Bright Flame smiled, and nodded, chuckling at every bit of attempted humor on Spike's part. It was hard to tell if it was genuine mirth, or sheer politeness. Bright Flame also asked questions, mostly about Twilight's relationship with Princess Celestia, and the Elements of Harmony, but she was also interested in Spike's ability to send out his friendship reports.

"Amazing," Bright Flame said. "Not only can your breath behave like any flame, but you can transport physical objects before Princess Celestia herself?"

"That's right!" Spike answered, his chest puffing up.

"Truly a remarkable race."

Something was stifling Rarity. She wondered if it was the heat from the forge, or Spike's ego slowly filling up the shop.

"It's true!" Spike said. His voice lowered afterwards. "But I can't do it anymore. Not since we ended up here."

Bright Flame tilted her muzzle. "Why not?"

"I dunno. I tried it with a blank piece of paper, and it just reappeared a few feet away. I guess Princess Celestia doesn't want to receive anything from us anymore."

The atmosphere within the smithy darkened. Without missing a beat, Bright Flame smiled, and shook her head. "Nonsense. The distance and the barrier may simply be interfering. If Princess Celestia didn't want to receive anything from you, you would have burned that piece of paper up. Take heart, Spike, you and your friends will figure out a way to overcome this obstacle."

True to her namesake, Bright Flame dispersed the gloomy atmosphere with ease. She glanced briefly at the forge, which continued to blaze with green flames, before refocusing on Spike.

"You're right," Spike replied. He returned her smile, and continued talking.

It was almost noon when Rarity was finally done. She looked over every detail carefully. This was her first piece for Barrier Lands nobility. She couldn't afford to mess up.

"And that's everything that's happened until this very day," Spike said.

"You've certainly led a wondrous life, Spike," Bright Flame remarked. "Thank you for sharing your story with me." She looked at Rarity. "I am more honored than ever to meet the bearer of the Element of Generosity itself as well as the bearer of the Element of Magic's close companion."

"It was my pleasure," Spike said. He looked a little disappointed that he had reached the end of his story.

Rarity found herself blushing slightly as well. "Your mage-coat is ready," she said. She held it up with her magic for Bright Flame to inspect.

Bright Flame clapped her front hooves together. "Splendid! Shall we discuss your fee?"

Rarity smiled, and shook her head. "Free of charge," she said. "Having nobility wear something of my design for the first time in the Barrier Lands is more than enough."

Bright Flame looked a little surprised at first, but quickly matched Rarity's smile with her own. "As befitting of the Element of Generosity," she said. "If you will not take any payment then let me bequeath you a gift instead." She magically lifted a single, golden coin from one of her coat's pockets, and gave it to Rarity.

Rarity enveloped the trinket with her own telekinesis, and turned it around for inspection. The coin was three times larger than a bit, and engraved with an eight-rayed sun at its center. At the center of the sun an eye with a small, brilliant ruby for an iris.

"Keep it as proof that you are always welcome in my estate at Hearthstone City," Bright Flame said. "Show it to other nobility so they will know that you have a friend among them.

"Thank you!" Rarity replied. The coin was more than enough payment for ten of those modified mage-coats. She had connections now! She could already imagined herself in this Hearthstone City, surrounded by nobles enjoying her beautiful designs.

"I have one for you too, Spike, for being good company," Bright Flame said. She leaned over, and nudged him with her nose. Spike nearly fainted from the gesture. "For a dragon depended on so much by his friends, I have something more practical." A small black sphere floated out of her coat's pocket.

Spike's eyes widened. "Is that…is that a mana battery like the one Twilight used to get here?"

Rarity remembered the gem that started all of this, then looked at the one Bright Flame offered Spike. She had her misgivings, but such a kind mare like Bright Flame must have a good reason to offer such a gift.

"Yes…and no," Bright Flame said. "This is a replenishment mana battery. It can boost a spell like a normal one, but it can also be used to restore the magic of a unicorn who has burned herself out. From what you've told me, Twilight Sparkle is in danger of that."

"Yes, that's right," Spike said. He held on to the sphere with new-found admiration. "This would definitely come in useful!"

"I suggest that you keep it as a secret resource, to be used by your discretion alone," Bright Flame said. "If Twilight Sparkle were to find out about it, she may just use it to boost one of her spells in her drive to master this realm's magic."

Spike nodded. "That's also true. But why give it to me?"

"Because you are the wisest out of all your friends, Spike. In so many of your stories, your friends would have come out much better if they only listened to you. You would know best when to make use of it. If the worst comes to pass, and Twilight Sparkle has depleted most of her magic, hold the sphere above her, and will its power to flow into her. She will be glad to have someone like you watching out for her all along."

Spike stared at the sphere as if it had already done all the things that Bright Flame promised it would. "I'll keep it just as you say," he said. "Thanks a lot!"

"Think nothing of it," Bright Flame said. She headed towards the door with her new mage-coat. "I must take my leave now. Thank you again for this mage-coat, Rarity."

Both of them waved fondly as Bright Flame walked away. They were still staring long after she was gone.

As Rarity closed the door, however, she put a hoof to her head, and stumbled forward slightly. "Oh my! My head feels a little heavy all of a sudden."

"Me too," Spike said as he massaged his temples. "Where did this come from?"

"I'm sure it's nothing," Rarity said. She looked over Bright Flame's gift once more, and put it inside one of her pockets. Despite Hammer Chain's absence, today had been very profitable indeed.


As Twocolt had expected, his sudden disappearance during yesterday's afternoon training resulted in punishment. He was fortunate that they had not been whipped. However, he was stuck with the particularly tedious job of training dummy making. The Legion went through the wooden cut outs of wolven quite quickly. Reconnaissance eventually destroyed them with crossbow practice, while Magical burned through them even faster. "This is the last time I let you drag me into your shenanigans, Applejack," he muttered.

"This ain't so bad," Applejack replied while she whittled away at her own piece of wood. It was an hour past noon already, and they were just about done. "We're still helping the Legion aren't we? It's better than getting whipped!"

"Oh, so that's your standard now, is it? I swe--" A familiar pony showed up out of the corner of Twocolt's eye. "Cover for me will you?" he said. He dashed towards a nearby alley.

As he had guessed, it was none other than Lady Bright Flame standing before him. "My lady!" He knelt. "It's dangerous to be out here. There are--"

"I know, Twocolt," Bright Flame replied. "I would not come out here if this wasn't important. I have terrible news. Most of the order stationed here have been discovered by the Legion, and killed."

Twocolt was grateful that he was already kneeling as he now doubted his legs ability to keep him standing. "Most of the order" Lady Bright Flame had said. For all he knew, he was the only pony who hadn't been caught. How had this happened? Was there a spy among them? Had somepony committed such a terrible error that the order was found out? "What…what should be done now, my lady?" he asked.

"This will be the last time I will meet with you, Twocolt," Bright Flame answered. "There are Special Operations agents all around, and we will be discovered if we're not careful. I will contact you through missives after this."

Twocolt nodded. "Understood. What are my orders?"

"You have done well in befriending Applejack. It's time to put that bond to good use. Here is what I want you to do…"

Twocolt listened intently. With the order gone, he was the only pony left that still served Equestria's true ruler. More than ever, he couldn't fail.

"Twocolt!" Applejack called out.

"Go now," Bright Flame said. "Be careful, Twocolt." She hurried away, and disappeared after turning a corner.

Twocolt looked at her until she was gone before concentrating on getting back. "I'm here!" he answered. He emerged from the alley, and walked towards Applejack. "Are we done?" he asked.

"Yup," Applejack said. "No thanks to you! Where'd you run off to anyway?"

Twocolt shrugged. "I saw an old acquaintance of mine. I had to go talk to her."

"You could have introduced us, you know!"

"She's the shy type. Besides, one of us had to keep on working."

"Uh huh. You owe me now, Twocolt."

"You mean we're even."

The two headed back to their platoon while carrying the load of training dummies on their backs.