• Published 9th Feb 2012
  • 23,116 Views, 773 Comments

Upheaval: Breaking Point - Visiden Visidane



A desperate war, old enemies returning and past mistakes come together to alter Equestria forever.

  • ...
49
 773
 23,116

Divisions

Upheaval: Breaking Point

Chapter 16: Divisions

As night settled across the northern plains, it did so upon the already set up camp of Fangbreaker's survivors. Commander Dreadstep had called for a rest only when the sun had partly set. The sight of Bastion City's tallest buildings as small shapes over the horizon, heartened many ponies. At their pace, they would probably arrive by tomorrow noon.

Twilight counted herself among the heartened ponies. Her shoulder burned with each step, and her legs were about to give. However, she was more concerned over somepony else. Nearby, Rarity flat on the ground, panting in exhaustion and drenched with sweat, even with the cold. "How are you feeling?" she asked.

"Utterly exhausted," Rarity replied between pants. "If this is what life in the Legion is always going to be like, I'm afraid I may not last very long."

"Don't say that," Twilight said. "I'm sure you'll get used to it. Here, I've brought you some dinner."

Rarity looked up, her eyes wide. "Please, please, please tell me it's a bowl of tossed salad with some pastries for dessert! Even a loaf of ordinary bread will do!"

"Sorry," Twilight replied with a chuckle. She placed the small pouch in front of Rarity.

The pouch sucked the last remaining strength from Rarity. She opened it, her expectant look already crumbling. "More of that disgusting sandy feed," she muttered. She poured some of the grainy material onto her hoof.

"Cheer up, Rarity. Vanguard says there's lots of decent food at Bastion City, and we're almost there."

Rarity shook her muzzle quietly. "It's not that. Well, it's not only that. This feed is certainly depressing in its own right."

"So what's wrong?" Twilight asked.

"I was…I was just thinking of Sweetie Belle," Rarity said. "I hope she's not too terribly upset about my banishment. And Carousel Boutique! It's only been a few days, but it's most likely in shambles now. I didn't even get to finish that last order too. Spike worked so hard to help me with all those gems, and it was all for naught!"

"I'm sorry," Twilight said softly."This is all my fault." An image of Ponyville came to her mind. How was everypony taking her and her friends' disappearances? Had they even noticed? What had Princess Celestia told them? To make things worse, she and her friends must be considered criminals since they were banished. Then, there were her parents. It must be crushing for them to realize that their daughter was an exile. A hoof touched her own, Rarity looking up to her with a smile.

"Don't you start thinking that I regret joining you here," Rarity said. "That's not true. I just…" The smile lessened slightly. "...I just wish I had been given a chance to set my affairs in order. I'm sure the others feel the same way."

"I understand," Twilight replied. "I wish I could have seen my family too. Princess Celestia must have been afraid that we would spread the knowledge of this place if we weren't banished immediately."

"Well, let's not wallow too much on unfulfilled wishes," Rarity sighed. "Excuse me, I have to choke down dinner."

Rarity gave the feed one more disgusted look, then stuffed all of it into her mouth. Eating soon turned into a mixture of grimacing and chewing. After another apologetic look, Twilight went on her way. She was thinking of seeing Spike by the wagons when a loud, distinct shout that made her curious and worried.

"What did you just tell me, chosen?" a deep-voiced pony shouted.

Twilight didn't recognize the voice, but she knew the tone it took. There were two ways that "chosen" was spoken here in the Barrier Lands. There was Vanguard's way, which was to simply show where a pony was from. There was Pyre's way, which turned it into the worst thing a pony could be. The voice just now sounded more Pyre Valor than Vanguard Clash.

"You heard me loud and clear!"

That voice belong Applejack, and a rather angry Applejack by the sound of it. Twilight had to hurry. She found Applejack staring up at a yellow earth stallion. A few ponies had gathered around the spot to watch.

"I ain't talking in fancy!" Applejack said. "You ran into me on purpose, and I want an apology!"

"If you weren't so slow, I wouldn't bump into you," the stallion growled. "You think you own this plain, chosen?"

The stallion stood a head taller than Applejack, but she didn't back up as much as an inch. "This plain's big enough for the both of us and an army of ponies," she snapped. "You bumped into me on purpose, now pony up and say you're sorry!"

"The only thing that's going to be sorry here is your worthless hide!" the stallion shouted. He pushed Applejack back with a hoof.

Applejack quickly stepped forward and shoved back. "So it's a scrap you want, huh?" she said. "Why didn't you say so?"

"The chosen thinks she knows what a fight is!" one of the spectators hooted. "Rough her up and show her how it's done, Stoneshod!"

Stoneshod raised himself to full height and banged his front hooves together. The metal shoes he wore clanged loudly and glinted as they caught the last rays of the sun. "If you're going to move like a crippled mule, chosen, you may as well be one!" he snarled. Some of the ponies in the background yelled in approval. Applejack held her ground and braced herself.

Enough was enough. Twilight pushed ahead, ready to intervene with magic if she had to.

The yelling stopped before Twilight could move any farther and the gathered ponies let somepony through. "Stand down before I call the Legion Police on you, Stoneshod," Vanguard said.

"Vanguard Clash?" Stoneshod asked. "Why are you defending this chosen? They're a spoiled, cowardly lot! All of them!"

Vanguard stepped between Applejack and Stoneshod. "So you're picking a fight with this smaller, unarmed, and untrained chosen while wearing your tramplers, and with your friends nearby because she's a coward? What a hero you are, Stoneshod."

Stoneshod hesitated for a moment. Vanguard stared him down with about as much movement as a tombstone. With the unrelenting gaze of a black-armored Special Operations Captain to back it, that two-bladed sword looked especially threatening. It took nearly a minute before Stoneshod gathered enough courage to step forward. "They don't deserve any sort of honorable battle," he growled.

"This chosen is here because she defied her princess," Vanguard said. "She's been banished for believing that Equestria's division is wrong. You will show her respect for that."

"I'll show her how we deal justice!" Stoneshod pushed past Vanguard to lunge at Applejack. For his trouble, his face encountered a pair of back hooves. Applejack had aimed well. Her kick struck Stoneshod's chin with a resounding thud and a distinct crack, knocking him on his back a few feet away. He lay there for a while, his eyes wide with surprise and his jaw slung open. A collective gasp of surprise escaped the gathered ponies. With a fierce cry, Stoneshod struggled to his hooves, only to fall flat on his belly when a streak of red landed on him.

"Assaulting an unarmed civilian," Scarlet Rabbit crowed atop Stoneshod. "We're looking at thirty lashes there, Stoneshod. I hope somepony remembered to take a whip from the fort. I only had time to save some booze!"

Stoneshod struggled against Scarlet. "You Special Operations ponies think you're so high and mighty," he growled. He winced and clutched his jaw. His friends dispersed without helping him while a trio of barded ponies made their way towards the commotion. Twilight didn't recognize the barding, but this must be the Legion Police Vanguard was talking about.

"Sounds like loser talk from somepony who didn't make the cut," Scarlet said with a laugh. He flew off Stoneshod as the armored ponies moved in.

Vanguard explained the situation to the Legion Police. With a nod, they escorted Stoneshod away while the other ponies returned to their business. Twilight and the rest of their friends came over once the commotion had dispersed. They settled down around a campfire that Scarlet had set up.

"What was all that commotion about?" Rarity asked. She looked disapprovingly at Applejack. "Roughhousing with the legionnaires already?"

"He started it," Applejack replied.

"He's going to have to see somepony about that jaw," Fluttershy said. "I hope Doctor Redbrand doesn't yell at him too loudly. It looks like it really hurts."

"I heard Scarlet say something about lashing," Pinkie Pie said. "Are they going to pluck his eyelashes for being a bully?"

"Maybe, if they didn't get a whip from the fort before we ran for it," Scarlet replied.

"That's ridiculous!" Rainbow Dash said. "And I hope that this Doctor Redbrand does yell at him for being a jerk!"

"Are you alright, Applejack?" Twilight asked.

"I'll be fine," Applejack answered. She turned towards Vanguard. "Thank you kindly for stepping in. You distracted him long enough at least. I hope I didn't make too many enemies."

"You probably made a few less," Vanguard replied. "That's quite the kick you have there. If you were wearing tramplers, you might have taken his head off."

"Years of apple bucking," Applejack said with an upward tilt of her chin.

"A farm pony?" Vanguard asked. "Have you worn barding before?

"No." Applejack paused for a moment, tapping her jaw with a hoof. "Oh, I tried out Big Macintosh's collar once. Would that count?

"Infantry can work with that." Vanguard patted Applejack's shoulders and back. "Looks strong. You'll do well."

"What about this 'Special Operations' that Stoneshod was talking about?" Applejack asked. "Is that your group?"

"Special Operations is made up of small squads of different ponies," Vanguard answered. "We serve as troubleshooters for the Legion."

Rainbow leaned forward, her eager eyes catching the firelight. "Could any of us end up in Special Operations?"

"I doubt it," Vanguard replied. "My squad itself just lost its unicorn mage and earth pony skirmisher, but we recruit from within the Legion, among experienced legionnaires. It's unlikely that new recruits will head straight to our squad."

While Rainbow deflated a bit and sat back down, it was Rarity who leaned towards Vanguard this time. "What about unicorns?" she asked. "Where would we go?"

"The Northern Legion bundles unicorn magi with strong offensive spells into firing lines. Defensive experts tend to be distributed. There's still the problem of you chosen unicorns having to deal with using magic outside the Heartland."

"Isn't there something that can be done about that?" Twilight asked.

"I don't know," Vanguard replied. He stared at the fire in thoughtful silence for a while. "The prince might have something to help. Maybe you'll just get used to this place."

With the questions out of the way, the group was silent. The only sounds came from Spike, who had started dozing next to Twilight, and the uncomfortable grunts of Applejack and Rainbow Dash trying get a mouthful of concentrated feed down.

Vanguard watched them in amusement, then turned towards Scarlet Rabbit. "Did I hear you right back there?" he asked. "Did you save some booze from the fort?"

Scarlet nodded vigorously. "Storm Brew gave me a free bottle after I saved the last barrel from the brewery! It's Good Stuff too! I hid it under one of the wagons!"

Vanguard glanced over to the others. "Our new friends look like they need help in swallowing my father's feed."

Scarlet Rabbit was gone in a streak of red. A few seconds later, he was back with a bottle clamped in his mouth and several glasses in his forelegs.

"What's that?" Twilight asked as Scarlet poured Vanguard a glass. The liquid was clear and sparkling. Small arcs of blue electricity appeared in it at random intervals.

"Storm Brew's Good Stuff!" Scarlet replied as he poured himself a glass.

"But what is it called?" Twilight insisted.

"I just told you! Good Stuff!"

Vanguard shrugged. "Storm Brew is an excellent brewer," he said before taking a sip. "Not so good with names."

"I'll try some!" Pinkie said. With an approving nod, Scarlet gave her a glass, and poured her a drink. "Here goes!" She emptied the glass in a single pull.

"That's not a good idea," Vanguard said. He backed away slightly.

"A really bad idea," Applejack added. She frowned at Scarlet, who was looking on eagerly.

"That was delicious!" Pinkie Pie said. "It's like punch, but not very sweet, and really smooth! It leaves this tingly feeling in your tongue, then a cool feeling in your throat! Is that barley I'm tasting? What's with the--"

Arcs of electricity surged through Pinkie Pie. Her mane and tail stood on end, the tips letting out a faint wisp of smoke. "Awesome…" she gasped, then fell to her side. A trail of smoke escaped her open mouth. Her friends looked her over while Scarlet held his sides and laughed.

"So who else wants a glass?" Scarlet asked. When nopony took up the offer, he poured himself another drink before watching Pinkie doze off with a smile. "She's good though," he said. "Maybe I should introduce her to Storm Brew."

"What was her job in the Heartland?" Vanguard asked.

"Well, she lived with some bakers," Twilight said.

"A baker, hmm? I'm not sure about her fighting skills," Vanguard said. "Maybe she can be a lot of help to my father. She might even make that sandy feed you all hate so much tastier."

"A worthwhile goal, I assure you!" Rarity added.

"Take a hint from Pinkie Pie," Vanguard said. "Time to turn in. We still have some walking to do tomorrow."


After some time, the entire camp became quiet. Only the sentries along the perimeter remained awake.

Vanguard Clash found himself awake, and he quickly realized that he wasn't alone in that. Applejack sat by the fire while her friends slumbered around her.

He walked over and settled down a few feet away. A respectable distance. "Something wrong?" he asked.

"Not really," Applejack replied. "I was just thinking about things."

Vanguard sidled closer to hear her subdued tone.

"Say, Vanguard?" Applejack asked.

"Yes?"

"What Stoneshod said about us 'chosen' ponies…is that how all of you legion-types feel? Do ya'll think we're cowardly and spoiled?"

"No," Vanguard answered. "If I thought that then I would have joined Stoneshod in beating you. That no one helped him shows how popular his opinion is."

Applejack's eyes widened. "He's just one disgruntled pony?"

Vanguard let out a sigh. "That's not quite true either. The ponies of the Barrier Lands have different opinions on the chosen. Some like to treat you and the Heartland like a fairy tale. Others acknowledge your existence, but put their faith in our prince knowing what's best. There are also ponies who just like a good fight." He glanced at Scarlet Rabbit afterwards. "Then, there's Stoneshod and his ilk, who like to hold on to a centuries-old grudge."

At the mention of "and his ilk", Applejack's hopeful gaze faded. She focused on the ground instead. "So where do you put yourself?" she asked.

"I think I'm a mix of the first two," Vanguard said.

Applejack stared at the ground a while longer before frowning and looking at Vanguard. "But why would anypony want to hold on to a grudge? We've never done anything to them. If we knew what was going on out in these parts, we'd all have done something to help!"

"Don't be so quick to put all your fellow chosen in the same boat," Vanguard said. "As for why hold on to a grudge, who knows? Perhaps it makes them feel superior by playing the victim of injustice. They could genuinely feel that it's the chosens' fault. Or they could just be carrying on their parents' beliefs."

They stared at the fire until Applejack spoke again. "Speaking of folks…I hope your pa's not too upset about us not liking his sandy feed. To be honest, I don't think it's that bad. It'll probably taste better with a little apple sauce."

"I'm sure he's already taken your ability to swallow it with only a little gagging as a compliment," Vanguard replied. He paused. "Is that why you were wandering around when Stoneshod ran into you? You were looking for some apple sauce?"

"Well…yeah," Applejack said, her face reddening slightly. "Just plain apples would have done it. I can make apple sauce in a jiff." She paused. "What about your ma? Is she in the Legion too?"

"I'm avoiding her for now," Vanguard replied. "Until I have access to an actual hospital. I'll be lucky if she doesn't assault me on our way to Bastion City."

Applejack laughed. "Sounds like one of my aunties." She was quiet again. Vanguard noticed the air of melancholy around her. The smile on her face quickly faded. "Must be nice working with your folks in the Legion," she said softly.

"I see," Vanguard replied. He patted Applejack on the shoulder awkwardly, once more wishing that he had the voice for comforting. "Perhaps it will help if you look at it this way." Applejack looked at him curiously. At the sight of her scrutiny, Vanguard coughed slightly. "Though they're far away and you miss them, take comfort in knowing that they're far away from all of this and that they're safe."

"That's a nice thought," Applejack said. To Vanguard's relief, some of her smile managed to come back. "Thank you kindly, Vanguard, that's real nice of you."

Vanguard cleared his throat and looked away. "Now, get some rest," he said. "You'll lose the respect you earned today if you collapse in exhaustion tomorrow."

"Understood, Captain."

Applejack settled in between Rarity and Rainbow and closed her eyes, leaving Vanguard alone to stare at the fire. The flames reminded him of the unicorn mage his squad had lost.

"I don't care what she intended. Her actions condemned her. Hundreds of good ponies are dead, and the north is in danger because of her loyalty to 'the truth'. By the prince's law, I will kill her the next time we meet."

He had sounded so strong and determined back there. He wondered if Twilight Sparkle even believed a word he said. She likely saw right through him. Pyre Valor had been one of his very few friends for a very long time. There was no way he would be able to kill her and feel nothing.

He felt a little pathetic, sitting by himself in front of the fire. He was the captain of only one pony, and his failure to arrive in time still loomed from the north. Helping these chosen gave him some comfort. He had never been one to make a lot of friends. He was lucky to have met Pyre Valor all those years ago, and he knew quite well that Blademane was not really his friend, but Pyre's. Scarlet Rabbit was…an accidental friendship. He remembered being back in that wolven's tent and realizing how little he had when Pyre Valor left him to die. It was a dark and terrible feeling, a feeling that he could put behind him now.

'I've lost two, and found six,' he thought. 'Not a bad trade in the end.' A few more minutes passed and he settled down for some sleep himself. Tomorrow, Bastion City awaited.