• Published 2nd May 2013
  • 5,607 Views, 672 Comments

The Koprulu Sector - TheKopruluSectorUnion



It's not easy growing up in this sector of space. It's a place ran by fanatics, warlords and corporate empires of all sorts. The CMC are about to enter adulthood in one of the most violent eras of pony history.

  • ...
16
 672
 5,607

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 6: Sweet Litany

Sweetie Belle could feel herself falling, but she couldn’t move. She couldn’t even open her eyes. It didn’t matter, her friends were safe. She knew her death would cause her friends great pain in the coming days, but at least they’d be alive and have each other to help see it all through.

Sweetie Belle finally managed to open her eyes. Her horn began flickering and she could see the ground now rapidly approaching her. The green hue surrounding her body from before returned, and her fall began to slow until she stopped about five feet off the ground. She levitated off the ground upside down for only a fraction of a second, then fell again the rest of the way. While it was a face first, her fall was broken by a thick, purple, mushy substance. Some of it got in her mouth; the taste was revolting.

Sweetie Belle used her horn to illuminate her surroundings, and revealed a large underground cavern. She looked up again and could still see some light from the top of the chasm. Sweetie Belle tried to use the levitation spell she used from earlier, but it was no good. She also tried yelling, but her friends couldn't seem to hear her.

Admittedly she wasn’t the strongest unicorn in the colony. She often had troubled levitating even her own weight. She was still shocked she was somehow able to lift the SCV earlier. Sweetie Belle concluded it was probably a one time occurrence fueled by passion and adrenaline she would not be able to replicate through force of will alone.

Sweetie Belle examined the edge of the chasms wall and noticed there was some kind of railing leading to the top. Upon further examination of her surroundings, she also discovered the wreckage of a service elevator, most of which had been buried under the purple substance. While the elevator was out of the question, the fact the terran built one meant they may have built other structures down here. Perhaps one that had a working elevator to the surface? She continued to examine the railing and quickly noticed a number of wires across the ceiling.

Sweetie Belle decided following those wires was her best chance at finding a way out of the cave, but also realized she had to be careful not to lose sight of them. The only light in this cave was her horn, and if she lost track of those wires for any reason, there was a good chance she’d never be able to find them again. Seeing no other option, she took her chances with the wire trail.

Sweetie Belle's pace was very slow. It was a bit difficult to walk over the purple muck that infested the floor, and she also had to be wary of the possibility of more zerg down here. A thought came to Sweetie Belle. Even if she found a structure with a working elevator, it would probably lead to an area of the station that was still under lockdown. If that were the case, she ran the risk of entering a floor filled with hungry zerg. She still remembered full well the sound of bashing and slashing coming from behind the blast doors when she was in the shelter with her friends.

The light of Sweetie Belle's horn didn’t extend very far in the cavern. She could just barely see the wires overhead, and only by concentrating the light on one point like a flashlight. Not being able to see the ground in front of her, she fell down a steep incline. She rolled down several feet losing her sense of direction and covering herself in the purple muck. Sweetie Belle got back up and started scanning the ceiling for the wire, but it was no good. The incline must have taken her more off course than she had originally thought.

“Don’t panic Sweetie Belle,” she said to herself. “Just try to remember what direction you fell from.” Sweetie Belle examined her surroundings as best as she could, but had no luck in regaining her sense of direction. She was lost in the dark with no idea which way to go. Fear was overcoming her concentration and she found she was no longer able to maintain her illumination spell.

Sweetie Belle did her best to calm down, to stop thinking and just breathe. She let herself be taking in by the still silence and darkness. She needed to convince herself there was nothing to be afraid of right now, it was just an empty cave.

Again her concentration was cut off by a noise in the distance. It was breathing, it was loud, and it was coming from multiple directions. The fear had returned stronger than ever. She wasn’t making any noise, she wasn’t moving, yet she could still hear them coming closer to her, as if her fear were a pleasing aroma to the oncoming threat. Judging by the noise, she was now completely surrounded. Sweetie Belle had no place to run.

Assuming this was the end, she did the only thing that could relax her in times like this. She didn’t want to die in a state of terror, she wanted to be at peace during her last moments. Sweetie Belle did what she loved most; she closed her eyes and sang.

A time will come when peace will reign
There’ll be no sorrow, there’ll be no pain.
When soldiers all lay down their arms
We’ll welcome joy and expel harm.

With her eyes still closed, Sweetie Belle didn’t notice the zerg around her were mere feet away. But they didn’t attack her; they only stood and listened to her angelic voice.

Weary heroes will come home
Their life of war and fighting done
No mothers will bury their sons
No wives will part with their loved ones

The relaxing song had cleansed Sweetie Belle of her fear. She opened her eyes to find herself surrounded by zerg, staring at her with what she was sure were hungry eyes. As they moved in for what she thought would be an attack, one of the zerglings lifted her with the non lethal backside of his long scythe arms, and lowered her unto another zerglings back. The zerg started started moving as a group through the cave, with Sweetie Belle riding one as a mount.

She was confused by the gesture. She thought of the possibility that she was being taken away to be fed to some sort of large queen like creature. Maybe they were going to infest her and turn her into one of them? She’d never seen it, but she’d heard rumors of it happening.

Fear slowly crawled its way back into Sweetie Belles soul. She noticed as she became more afraid, the zerg became angrier. She knew if they zerg regressed to their violent instincts; they’d kill her without a thought. For the sake of survival, she needed to stay calm around these creatures, and began to finish her song.

One day our people will be free
From hatred, fear and tyranny
From every mountain, valley and shore
We’ll all rejoice in peace once more.

Sweetie Belle continued singing songs as the zerg escorted her to their destination, whatever it may be. She found as long as she maintained a calm and peaceful state of mind, the zerg seemed to do so as well. She still had no idea what the zerg had in mind for her, but for now she was still alive, and that was about as much as she could ask for.


Apple Bloom followed Rainbow Dash to her ship. It wasn’t like the drop ships she’d seen used by the Dominion. It was obvious this was a personal vehicle. The back of the ship opened lowering a ramp, and an orange mare wearing a fur tight space suit and a pilot helmet emerged. The mare removed her helmet revealing a purple mane with purple eyes. Apple Bloom couldn’t believe it… it was Scootaloo.

Scootaloo ran down to meet them in excitement. Apple Bloom returned the gesture running to meet her friend half way. To her surprise, Scootaloo rushed past her and ran to Rainbow Dash instead. “You’re alive!” she shouted as she embraced the cyan mare. “Damn it sis, don’t scare me like that! Wait... where are the others?”

Apple Bloom was surprised she had already met Rainbow Dash. “Umm… Scootaloo, how do you know her? And what do you mean by ‘sis’?”

Scootaloo looked back to Apple Bloom with a confused expression. “Scoota who?” Scootaloo looked to Rainbow Dash and asked, “Sis, who is this?”

“Scootaloo, it’s me Apple Bloom. Quit joking around,” replied Apple Bloom. Scootaloo didn’t acknowledge her, and acted as if she wasn’t even there.

“This is Apple Bloom. I saved her life. The others turned on me, and blew up the facility. I had to take them out, and I brought her with me to confirm the story,” replied Rainbow Dash.

“Hey I saved your life too you know,” replied Apple Bloom

“Don’t mind Rainbow, she tends to exaggerate details to make herself sound more awesome,” said Scootaloo.

“Ok, tell me right now. How do you two know each other?!” demanded Apple Bloom.

“She’s my sister,” replied Rainbow Dash. “We’ve known each other for years. I’m not sure why that’s so important to you.”

Apple Bloom began a statement. “That doesn’t make sense. Scootaloo never mentioned-”

“Stop calling me that!” demanded Scootaloo. “My name is Jet Stream. And it’s true, she’s the one who took care of me when I was younger.”

Apple Blooms blood turned to ice water. Had Scootaloo been resocialized? If so, she just lost her only remaining friend. “Scoots… I mean Jet Stream. I don’t know how to tell you this… I think you’ve been resocialized.” Apple Bloom received a punch in the face knocking her to the ground.”

“Who the hell do you think you are telling her something like that!” shouted Rainbow Dash. The angry mare pulled out her pistol and was ready to blow Apple Blooms head off over the insult.

“Sis stop!” begged Jet Stream. “I don’t know why she is saying that, but it’s not worth murder!”

Rainbow Dash looked into her sisters eyes as she begged her to let the earth pony live. Rainbow Dash had no quarrel with killing someone. She just killed a stallion she’d worked with for months; she didn’t even know this earth pony very well. But if Rainbow Dash had one weakness, it was her little sister’s eyes. Rainbow Dash put the pistol pack in its holster.

Apple Bloom came back to her feet. “Thanks Scoots… I mean Jet Stream. But I really think we need to talk about this.” Apple Bloom was willing to take another punch to the face. Scootaloo deserved to know the truth.

“There is nothing to talk about,” said Rainbow Dash.

“Sis, do you mind if Apple Bloom and I talk about this in private?” asked Jet Stream

Rainbow Dash didn’t like where this conversation was going. This was a sensitive subject for the two of them. “You can talk on the ship, but not in private.”

“Fine.” said Jet Stream accepting the compromise.


Scootaloo had awoken on what she was sure was a prison ship. As before, her hooves were bound together, but now she found herself with a muzzel over her mouth and a collar around her neck. Her captors were also kind enough to provide her with an orange prisoner suit. She looked to her right to find another prisoner in the same restraints. The corner of his left eye caught her staring. The prisoner started to struggle as if trying to hurt her, but was quickly met with an electric shock.

“Pipe down,” demanded one of the guards patrolling the hall way. “No talking or you get the same treatment.” It didn’t really matter. The muzzle had placed some kind of gag in her mouth, so she couldn’t talk if she wanted too.

Scootaloo looked down at her suit and noticed the words, “MURDERER TWO COUNTS” written on her the chest. She dared a glance at her neighbor again and found his shirt had the words “CANNIBAL MURDERER NINE COUNTS.” Had she really fallen so far she was being grouped with these people? Maybe it’s what she deserved? Maybe this was justice for trying to defile her friend’s name? No, this couldn’t be justice. Sweeties Belle's parents being murdered wasn’t justice. If she ever got out of here alive, she’d find the one responsible and make them pay.

You are just too violent The doctor’s words set in again. Was he right? It didn’t matter anymore she supposed. Where ever this ship was going, it was unlikely she’d ever see home again. She stared out the window, and to the best of her ability tried to enjoy the ride.


The zerg brought Sweetie Belle back to what appeared to be their nest. It was a terran underground refinery which was most likely where the wires had led to. This was apparently where the zerg were coming from as well. The zerg “repaired” the refinery by infesting the building. There were many strange living organs growing off the side while skin covered the buildings breaches. The structure was pumping out the purple muck that had covered the entirety of the cavern floor. Sweetie Bell watched in disgust as the zerg would eat the vile material for sustenance.

The refinery was apparently still operating because it was giving off a green gas and showering it onto the eggs around the structure. This was apparently the source, or at least a source, of zerg around the colony. If someone were to destroy this structure, perhaps the zerg threat around their colony would be removed as well?

As the thought crossed her mind, she noticed some of the zerg started becoming angry. Again she started humming to take her mind off thoughts of violence. She’d been at it for a while now, and had attracted quite the large audience. She didn’t have to sing at all times. She discovered as long as she kept her thoughts calm and tranquil, the zerg didn’t attack her. But even so, she had no intention of staying down here forever keeping the zerg entertained. She knew at least a whole day had passed, as she had fallen asleep earlier. She was lucky the dreams were pleasant, or else the zerg might have decided she was no longer worth keeping alive if she’d had a fear inducing nightmare. Despite the rest, she was still tired, bored and above all hungry.

Having nothing else to do but think, she came to a realization. That chasm she fell down from couldn’t the only way in or out of this cavern. While the zerg didn’t let her wander too far, earlier in the day Sweetie Belle found railing coming from the refinery that was buried below the purple muck. The zerg had been appearing around the outskirts of town for years, so there had to be an exit to this cave that the zerg were using. There might have been a chance that the railing would lead to her escape. All she needed was a distraction. Of course, that didn’t seem like it was going to be happening any time soon.

As she sat down on one of the few boulders not covered by the purple muck, one of the zerg nudged her leg. “What?” she replied. A second zerg approached her and made a sound that could be described as begging. “Come on, I’m hungry, tired and I just sang a couple of hours ago,” she really had no idea how long it had been, but she certainly wasn’t in the mood right now. The zerglings raised their claws at her and roared in anger at her refusal to perform. “Alright no need to get violent… just let me think of a song real quick.” Sweetie Belle stood on the rock and prepared to sing another song. Already she could see the zerg rushing to gather around her.

(Sing this song to the tune of Pinkie Pies singing telegram)

If there’s a creature in the sector that I wish would simply die,
I’d have to say the zerg, no I’m not telling a lie
They’re vile and they smell and the stuff they eat is gross
This is the species that I say, I'd like to kill the most

I used to wonder why people would tell me zerg were bad
I thought they were misunderstood, maybe they were just sad
I now know they’re horrible, and all they do is fight
They’re ugly little monsters and they aren’t at all that bright

Sweetie Belle noticed the zerg started to look agitated. The zerg rose their claws threatening to attack if she didn't change her tone. A few hours ago she would have been scared, but at this point she just didn’t care anymore.

They kidnap girls, and make them sing, and never give them thanks
I wouldn’t mind if they were all ran over by a tank
Please kill me now, I’m think I’m done, just eat me while I sit
I’d rather die than spend my life, watching you eat-

BOOM! Sweetie Bell was interrupted by the sound of an explosion going off in the distance. The zerg, who were about to rip Sweetie Belle limb from limb, were now rushing to defend their home. Sweetie Bell wasn’t sure exactly what was going on, but she knew this might be her only chance at escape. She ran to the edge of the refinery looking for the railing she had found earlier.

In the distance she saw six armored ponies flying through the air with jetpacks. They easily outmaneuvered the zerg, killing them by the dozens. One of the bullets came dangerously close to hitting her. Sweetie Belle decided it would be best to find cover at the moment, and then find the railings afterwards.

After a brief battle, all the zerg lay dead on the ground. Four of the armored ponies began laying explosives onto the structure to deal with the zerg threat once and for all. Sweetie Belle was relieved rescue had finally arrived, and was about to reveal herself to them until she heard some less than encouraging words.

“I saw someone else down here,” said one of the armored ponies. She was shorter than the others, and carried two pistols instead of a rifle. Sweetie Belle could tell by her voice she was a mare. “We can’t have any witnesses, find her and take care of her sergeant.”

“Uh… lieutenant, I think you’re seeing things. No way anyone is down here,” said a stallion. He was the largest of all six of them.

“Are you questioning my orders sergeant?” replied the mare. She was now pointing one of her pistols into the stallions face. The stallion stood his ground.

The mare didn’t notice another one of the ponies sneaking up behind her. “How do I break this to ya? Your earlier arrangement of forty percent your way, twenty my way, and ten percent for the other boys… I’m afraid we no longer find your offer acceptable.” Before she could respond, the stallion sneaking up behind her bashed her in the back of her head, rendering her unconscious.

The large stallion gave an order to the others. “Put her on the refinery; rig it to blow in two minutes. Then we go clean the upstairs.”

The other armored ponies did as their new leader asked, leaving the mare for dead. They used their jetpack to quickly make their way back to the chasm and disappeared from site.

This was Sweetie Belles chance to escape. Before she made a run for it, she noticed the mare still lying helplessly by the refinery. Sweetie Belle still remembered her words, but at the same time didn’t feel right just leaving her to die.

She ran to the mare, and used her magic to drag her behind a boulder. Not long after, the refinery exploded sending shrapnel everywhere. Light was no longer a problem due to the brightly burning refinery. Conveniently the explosion burnt or blasted away much of the muck that was covering the ground, exposing the railing she was looking for earlier.

Sweetie Belle heard a moaning sound coming from the mare she rescued. She would probably be awake soon, and Sweetie Belle certainly didn’t want to be around for that. She ran towards the railing, and followed it towards what may or may not be an exit.

After what seemed like hours, she could finally see a light in the distance. This was it, she would finally be able to get back to the colony and let her friends know she was alright.

Sweetie Belle stepped outside and let the fresh air fill her lungs. The smell of fresh air was incredible, despite the fact she was covered in tree sap, purple muck, and dirt.

Sweetie Belle suddenly felt a minor stinging sensation on her side. Upon investigating her side, she noticed a small dart coming out of her skin. She removed it, but was already feeling very dizzy. Sweetie Belle wobbled around trying to maintain her balance, but finally fell to her side.

She looked up to see a figure taking shape in front of her, as if she were appearing out of thin air. It was a lavender colored unicorn mare with purple eyes. Her mane was the blue with a pink and purple stripe flowing through it. Her armor was a mix of Dominion red and black, which glowed with purple energy.

Sweetie Belle tried to speak and ask her why she had done this, but her tongue was too numb to move. Her vision blurred, and she saw no more.

Author's Note:

Once again, the artwork is from Rametep. If you enjoyed it, please click the link below the picture and leave a comment on his page.

KopruluSectorUnion Note: Corrections implemented, courtesy of refferee

PreviousChapters Next