• Published 2nd May 2013
  • 5,607 Views, 672 Comments

The Koprulu Sector - TheKopruluSectorUnion



It's not easy growing up in this sector of space. It's a place ran by fanatics, warlords and corporate empires of all sorts. The CMC are about to enter adulthood in one of the most violent eras of pony history.

  • ...
16
 672
 5,607

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 50: Aggressive Acquisitions

Cuatro días antes del ataque a Cadia

A quintuplet of bladewing fighters were continuing their patrol on what so far seemed to be an uneventful day. These Kel-Morian made fighters were a popular choice in the sector, and were in use by the Consortium, Vatican, Confederacy, as well as many private armies who could afford higher end military hardware. Built for speed above all else, they relied largely on missiles for offense, though they also came equipped with dual chainguns.

Starsong watched the five pilots through an observer as they neared the ambush site in an asteroid field. He wasn’t too worried about their armaments as much as he was their speed. They’d have to get it right on the first volley, or risk letting one of the pilots escape. Once they were right where Starsong wanted them, he gave the order through the Khala to spring the trap.

Wing one move in. Wing three, go after any runners.

The first wing of comet fighters approached from different angles. Like the bladewings, the comet fighters were built largely with speed in mind. They had a pair of psi casters in place of chainguns. While the psi casters didn’t match the raw fire power of the guns, they took up significantly less space. This allowed the comet fighters to carry a larger complement of missiles. They could also transfer power from the psi casters to the engines, allowing them to outrun most enemies.

Using their speed and larger missile payload to their advantage, the comet fighters launched a generous volley of missiles towards the bladewings. Rather than hit the bladewings directly, the missiles were set to explode around the fighters. The explosions managed to disable all but one bladewing, while also killing the pilots inside. The lone bladewing tried to make a run for it, only to be cut off by the third wing of comets which were quick to destroy the fleeing craft. The fifth bladewing was nothing but scrap, and the pilots of the four disabled bladewings lay dead in their cockpits.

“Did they make a transmission?” asked Starsong. The crew was silent, still feeling guilty over this unprovoked attack. “Did they make a transmission?!” he asked again in a much more forceful tone.

“No,” replied a crewmen. “They were slaughtered before they had a chance.”

“Good. Have wings one and three return to the Radiance to rearm. Order wing two to lure the Vampire frigate to this area. Have wing four do the same to the Mad Cows,” ordered Starsong.

The frigate from Mad Cow fleet was hit first. Using the observers to spot for it, a single comet fighter launched missiles from a safe distance where the mercenaries wouldn’t be able to spot it. While the enemy frigate was unable to get a fix on its attack, it did know what direction it came from and began pursuit.

The lone fighter transferred power from weapons to its engines and began to lead the frigate towards the ambush site. Eventually the frigate would lose site of the first fighter due to its sheer speed. Just as the trail went cold, a second fighter launched its missiles and the chase began anew. The frigate repeated the process with all remaining fighters in the fighter wing until they lead it to the ambush site where the bat ponies lay dead in their fighters.

Unknown to the Mad Cows, a Vampire frigate was also being lead in a similar manner. Once the Vampire frigate lost its target, it began to search the area for the harassing fighter. Instead it found the Mad Cow frigate inside of its territory, surrounded by the debris of five of its fighters. While the destroyed fighter was nothing more than unrecognizable floating scrap, a quick scan revealed that the four disabled fighters belonged to Vampire.

Looking through an observer, Starsong could see both ships had made visual contact. He had to assume by now the bat ponies were aware of their dead comrades. “Detonate the missiles in the asteroid field near the Vampire frigate,” ordered Starsong.

A series of explosions went off around the Vampire frigate inflicting only minimal damage on the shields. The bat ponies however viewed this as an ambush set by the minotaurs and returned fire. Both ships had called for reinforcements and were now locked in mortal combat with one another.

“So far so good. Are the Templar ready for deployment on the surface of the station?” asked Starsong.

“Yes but… the drop pods were meant for planetary deployment. This is a significantly smaller target at a much greater distance sir. Even with the calculations from the observers, there is still a chance we may miss,” replied a crewmen.

“A chance we’ll have to take,” replied Starsong.


Dos días después del ataque

“Shining. Shining can you hear me?” asked a voiced. He was still a bit drowsy from the drugs, so his hearing was a bit muffled. His eyes opened and his vision began to unblur. He saw a white unicorn mare with a stripped pink and white mane.

“Mom?” asked Shining Armor.

“I’m here honey, so is your father,” she replied.

Shining Armor took a deep breath, and for the first time in since being punched by Sovereign. He was finally able to breathe steadily. It felt good to finally be back near one-hundred percent. “It’s good to see you two are alright.”

“We came as soon as the attack was over,” said his mother.

“When we heard Matriarch Cadenza had been killed, we thought everyone in the palace must have been slaughtered as well,” added his father. He was a unicorn with a blue mane and fur. “Yet somehow my son is still alive, despite the fact his wife had been kidnapped, and our matriarch was murdered and put on display.”

“Shining!” shouted the mare. “This is the last thing he needs right now!”

Shining Night had some more words for his son considering his failure, but he adhered to his wives wishes.

“He’s right mom. I let them down. I let everyone on Cadia down,” admitting Shining Armor.

“It wasn’t his fault Mr. and Mrs. Storm Breeze,” said another voice. They turned around to see Twilight had entered the room. “He isn’t the one who allowed a hacker to take control of the battle net and shut down the space platforms that were supposed to defend us.”

“And who are you?” asked Shining Night.

Hearing her own father ask that was a bit painful, but expected. Twilight had her appearance and named altered when she joined Dominion Intelligence, so it was only natural her family wouldn’t recognize her. “I’m Vice Admiral Sparkle, I work with DI,” she answered.

“Your kind isn’t allowed on our world,” commented Shining Night. “I’m with the Cadian militia, why shouldn’t I have you shot right now?”

“Because I’m here to find out who it was that shut down your defenses and have them brought to justice,” answered Twilight. “Your
matriarch is dead. I would assume you’d want all the help you can get.”

“She’s a friend of mine, you can trust her,” assured Shining Armor.

“You’re friends with a DI agent?!” asked his father.

“Hun, please calm down,” asked his wife.

Shining Night refused. “Galaxy, if anyone finds out he’s been associating with-”

“Then don’t tell anyone,” suggested Twilight. “I need to speak with him in private. We have important matters to discuss.”

“You have no authority on his world. I’ll leave when I damn well please,” announced Shining Night.

“Hun, I don’t want any trouble. We can talk to him later,” suggested Galaxy.

“I do need to discuss some things with her,” said Shining Armor. “If you don’t mind.”

The older stallion shot Twilight a glare, then walked out of the room with his wife following after.

“Dad seems to be in a chipper mood,” commented Twilight. “It’s not right of him to blame you for what happened.”

“On that subject, what the hell happened Twilight?!” asked Shining Armor. “You said the Diamond Dogs would burn down a few buildings and take off. You never said anything about killing Cadenza or kidnapping Stage!”

“The Diamond Dogs got a little… overzealous during the attack. They inflicted more casualties than initially anticipated,” admitted Twilight. “As for the Matriarch, she had to die. With her dead, our people will need a new leader. They’ll look to their champion.”

“I let the Matriarch die. I deserted her. I went after Stage instead of defending the Matriarch. Why would they still call me champion?” asked Shining Armor.

“No, you fought to your last breath, despite your injuries. You fought alongside all the other palace guards who fought and died bravely alongside their matriarch,” corrected Twilight. “The only reason you survived is because a medic found you among the dead and dying. You did your duty, and our people know it.”

“There were other guards there Twilight. They heard and saw what happened between me and Cadenza. They know I deserted,” said Shining Armor.

“I’m afraid none of them survived their injuries,” said Twilight. “I saw to that personally. No one witnessed what really happened. The truth is whatever you tell them.”

Shining Armor paused for a moment to contemplate this situation. It’s true that finding out he fought alongside the Matriarch against impossible odds would help his image, but it didn’t change the fact he deserted her when she needed him most. “I can’t do this. They need to know what really happened.”

“Let’s analyze that shall we?” asked Twilight. “They find out you deserted. You’re hated, you lose the title of Champion of Cadia, and you lose your running for next Emperor.”

“I can live with that,” said Shining Armor.

“But can Cadia live with that?” asked Twilight. “The Dominion pulls its support. Cadia is left leaderless and without sufficient weapons. The Confederacy invade. Our people fight to the death naturally. After an extended campaign, their zerg eventually overwhelm us. All of our people die just so you don’t have to live with the guilt of lying to them. Are you that selfish?”

Again Shining Armor contemplated his situation. She was right, Cadia could not stand alone. With the Matriarch dead, he would be expected to lead. Morale was low enough as it was, and word of his betrayal would only shatter his peoples' already low spirits. His people needed a leader. He was no true champion, but right now he needed to play the part.

“What about Stage? What will the Diamond Dogs do to her?” asked Shining Armor.

“She’ll be kept safe, I promise,” answered Twilight. “When it’s convenient, you’ll ‘rescue’ her and be a hero throughout the entire Dominion.”

Shining Armor sighed deeply. It all felt so wrong to him. “Cadenza forgive us for what we’ve done,” he prayed.

“Hey, it’s all going to be for the better. You’ll see, I promise.” Twilight reached down and hugged her older brother. “I love you big brother. I need to get going, I have a few things I need to take care of.”

“I love you too sis. Anything you want me to pass on to mom and dad?” asked Shining Armor.

“Tell dad to loosen up,” said Twilight. She smiled at him as she left the hospital room.


Rainbow and Rain Sight both stood atop a building rooftop in the distance, thanks to Rainbow’s ability to fly in harsh weather. Both of them were wearing Cadian leather, goggles and face wrappings like any other Cadian citizen, so they weren't too distinguishable from anyone else. Rain Sight had been watching the conversation through binoculars, hoping to get any information, after which Rainbow would fly her back down.

“I would be so easy from up here,” said Rainbow. “We really should have brought the rifle.”

“In this weather?” asked Rain Sight. “Besides, the last thing we want is getting caught with a weapon. Security's the highest it’s been in who knows how long. It's kind of strange how people always up security AFTER an attack, when it’s already too late to do anything about it.”

“Too bad Sweetie Belle is still recovering. I’m sure she could have snuck up here with a rifle,” said Rainbow.

Rain Sight lowered her binoculars as Twilight left the room. “So, anything useful?” asked Rainbow.

“Well it’s pretty hard reading lips through a window from this distance. Especially with all of this snow,” admitted Rain Sight. “The snow somewhat cleared up at the end, but I didn’t read anything particularly incriminating. I did read one nugget of interesting information though.”

“And that would be?” asked Rainbow.

“I might be wrong but… I think I saw her call Shining Armor her big brother. And she referred to at least his father as her own too. They were even hugging,” said Rain Sight.

Rainbow Dash’s jaw dropped beneath her face wrappings. “Twilight's parents?! Oh ho ho, pay back is going to be a bitch!”

“What?! Wait a minute, we can’t just kill her parents. They have nothing to do with this!” argued Rain Sight.

“My sister wanted nothing to do with this!” argued Rainbow Dash. “Your dad wanted nothing to do with this!”

“Then make Twilight pay, not her parents!” replied Rain Sight.

“Scootaloo said she wants to make Twilight suffer the same way we did. She took the only family I had, the only family you had. I say we return the favor,” said Rainbow Dash.


It didn’t take long for Vampire and Mad Cow to go at it in the asteroid field. Mad Cow only left a lonely frigate to defend the station from attack. While the Radiance could easily deal with the smaller vessel, flying into their territory directly would alert the station's security forces to their deception. The last thing they needed was to bring the force of both fleets upon their lone cruiser.

The next part of the plan was easily the riskiest. The bottom of the Radiance had launch tubes similar to drop pod launch tubes used by the other factions. As long as there was an observer on the ground, they could typically get some pretty accurate landings. Landing on a station from such a long distance however was going to be a bit harder than usual.

“Launch pods one and two,” ordered Starsong.

The Radiance's launch tubes opened up and two drop pods began racing towards the station where an observer was already in place to help guide their landing. The two objects, for the most part, went unnoticed among the ensuing chaos. As the drop pods finally reached their destination, they smashed a hole through the station's surface, lodging themselves into the side of the hull.

With the drop pods thoroughly secured, the bottoms opened up revealing pylons. The pylons were made from processed khaydarin crystals, which generated a limited amount of energy. The stabilizer ring surrounding the crystal channeled that energy into an energy field which could be used to provide power for khalai equipment, or it could be used to create a warp field allowing troops and equipment to be teleported instantly. These pylons were smaller and used mainly for moving infantry rather than heavy walkers.

The pylons floated down to the floor, then activated the warp ring around them. Immediately robots from the Radiance teleported on board and generated a shield on the hull breach. With the hull breach secured, armored Templar teleported in next to begin the heist. Two Mad Cows rushed into the hallway onto be gunned down by the Templars' psi-casters before they could fire a single shot.

Seeing that his force had successfully made ‘landfall’, Starsong gave the next set of orders. Insertion team one, proceed to secure the ores. Leave one squad behind to secure the pylon. Insertion team two, proceed to the station's reactor. Leave a squad to protect the pylon as well. Call for reinforcements as you need them.

Resistance onboard the station wasn’t too severe at the moment. They clearly relied more on their fleets for protection than they did their security teams. While the station was outfitted with a good number of external weapon batteries, they were meant for holding off large ship attacks, not commando raids.

When the first insertion team successfully reached the supply cache, the robots they had escorted worked to levitate the crates of raw ores back to the pylon for extraction. That part so far had been easy, as the majority of the station's forces were more concerned with defending the reactor room.

While caught off guard, the minotaur were eventually able to respond accordingly and keep the reactor room secured. They certainly seemed intent on fighting to the death over this. Starsong had to assume by now Mad Cow and Vampire realized it was a ruse. Of course it could still be a while before the more battle hungry minotaur agreed to stop fighting and return to reinforce the station.

Deploy reinforcements to assist insertion team two. Insertion team one, once the metal has be teleported back onboard the Radiance, we will teleport you to insertion team two’s pylon. Assist them in reaching the reactor room, ordered Starsong.

Starsong got out of his seat and ran to the gateway. He joined the next wave of reinforcements and landed on the station himself to oversee the final phase of the operation. There he found a number of dead Templar and Mad Cows littering the hallways. To his men’s credit, they had successfully fought all the way to the reactor room as intended. To the credit of the minotaur however, they made them pay for every inch in blood, and had fought them to a standstill just outside the reactor room.

Starsong could see what the problem was. They had set up a turret pointed at the entrance. As soon as any of his men tried to enter that control room, they’d be cut to pieces by the defenders. Eight stallions, gather around me now, ordered Starsong. His men obeyed his command forming a three by three square with Starsong in the center. He then erected a shield around them. Focus your energy on the shield, then move with me.

The shield strengthened as each stallion poured their psionic energy into the barrier. Their phalanx passed through the chokepoint and immediately came under fire. While it took a great toll on the Templar, they would be able to maintain the barrier if only for a few seconds under the hail of gunfire. The Templar in the shield took the opportunity to count and locate all enemy positions in the reactor room. Their minds working as one, the Templar who weren’t maintaining the shield ran into the room and opened fire on the Mad Cows. Having their exact positions, the minotaur were shot down quickly.

Starsong almost collapsed as the barrier finally released. Having secured the reactor room, he began to initiate the final stage of his plan. Keep me covered, he ordered. Due to his exhaustion from maintaining that barrier, it took him about a minute to finally gather enough psionic energy to complete his work. With the energy in his horn gathered, he fired a stream of lightning into the reactor, resulting in a feedback. The reactor now in flux, he gave an order to retreat.

The Templar around him were too caught up in the thrill of battle to really care what he had just done. The crew on the Radiance however let their disgust pour into the Khala. Many wondered how such a sick stallion could have ever been allowed to become a High Templar.

The Templar reached the pylon, and began teleporting back to the Radiance. Once the Templar were back on board, the pylon also warped out as well.

Finally back onboard the Radiance, the Overseer made his way back to the bridge in time to see the fruits of his labor. The observer that guided the drop pods onto the platform got a safe distance and watched. The station's reactor finally went critical, and the station was engulfed in a horrible explosion, killing all witnesses.

“Well… I would say that ties up any loose ends. Get to work on those repairs. I want that core back to one-hundred percent ASAP,” ordered Starsong. He could feel his crew’s resentment towards him growing. They didn’t seem to realize how necessary it was to remove the witnesses, as well as any dead Templar still on the station. They didn't have time to clear out all the bodies after all. The last thing they needed was for Labyrinth to be chasing them through Consortium Space.

“I said, that get to work on those repairs… NOW!” he shouted. Despite their growing disapproval, the crew obeyed and continued to follow his orders.

Author's Note:

This would have been out yesterday, but about half way through I lost my progress. It was one of those frustrating moments where you just don't feel like starting over again for the rest of the day.

All that said and done, how about Twilight's parents? Eye for an eye? Make her suffer the same way you did before you finally pull the trigger? And what about Starsong? Leaving witnesses is bad, but so is murdering an entire station.

For those of you interested in a bit more lore...

As for why they aren't using Phoenix and Wraith fighters, its simple. Those designs at this point are hundreds of years old, of course they'd be opted out by now. That's not to say that older fighters aren't still used, but mostly as a cheap air force for private armies on a budget. More serious armies and mercenary groups usually by the best. Why does the Consortium sell its fighters to the Confederacy and the Vatican? Simple, it's called blood money/war profiteering. If their neighbors are always at war, may as well cash in right?

The Comet fights still have a similar design to the phoenix. Their psi casters are just as strong as the ion cannon, but much stronger and more power efficient (tech gets better with time after all). Because they don't take up as much space, they can carry missile launchers holding ten missiles under each wing, for a total of twenty missiles. Fighter launched missiles have gotten smaller, but still pack just as much of a punch. And while their psi casters aren't as strong as the blade wings gatling guns, they can use the psi casters energy to give their engines a boost.

Bladewings are more like the old wraiths, minus the T-shape. Only the Dominion has access to ship based plasma weapons, so the Consortium still relies mostly on ship based magnetically accelerated weapons such as auto cannons, rail guns and gatling guns (nothing wrong with that). Unlike the Khalai, who decided to maintain weapons of equal strength, but of smaller size, the Consortium decided on equal size, greater strength. They only carry 16 missiles, but once missiles are gone, the gatlings guns still offer a very powerful option as opposed to the comet fighters psi caster.

PreviousChapters Next