• Published 2nd May 2013
  • 5,607 Views, 672 Comments

The Koprulu Sector - TheKopruluSectorUnion



It's not easy growing up in this sector of space. It's a place ran by fanatics, warlords and corporate empires of all sorts. The CMC are about to enter adulthood in one of the most violent eras of pony history.

  • ...
16
 672
 5,607

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 22: Breaking Out

Two Diamond Dog guards were making their way through the interior of the ship. It was nothing out of the ordinary, just the usual interior patrol. Every few decades a Dark Templar would make his or her way into the ship and attempt to kill the Prophet, so it was important she maintained routine security sweeps.

The Prophet had more than one close call in the past, and had suffered grievous injuries at the blade of a Dark Templar, so she had good reason to fear and hate them. The routine patrols actually were actually pointless, because in every attempt made on her life, never once was the would be assassin ever caught by an actual guard.

It was only through her own considerable power and will to live that kept her alive during those moments. For that reason, anytime she ever hears word of a Dark Templar inside Consortium space, she makes it her personal mission to hunt them down before they could do the same to her.

However it was difficult for the guards to stay on the look out for an event that only happened once every few decades. In order to motivate her men to stay on high alert, the company policy was that every time a Dark Templar made its way past security, the entire security detail were executed for negligence. Despite these powerful motivators, years of boredom would still take their toll on her security detail causing complacency to settle in. These two particular guards were no exception to the rule.

"It's called the Wilhelm Scream. It was very popular during both Earth and post Earth era films. The Imperials still use it in their movies to this day." said one of the guards.

"Really? Which movies?" asked the second guard.

"You ever see Trout to the Horizon? That scene where the best friend gets hit in the eye with a golf ball? Remember that scream he made?" asked the first guard.

"Umm... sort of. What did it sound like again?" asked the second guard.

In the distance was the sound of a mares voice shouting, "Fore!" Something suddenly flew through the visor of the first guard, smashing into his eye and knocking him to the ground. As he fell, he performed the perfect Wilhelm scream.

"Wow that was really good! You even nailed the feign death." The guard took another look at his friend who writhing on the ground, shouting in pain, and noticed the bloody hole in the visor. "Oh crap! Are you alright?" In hindsight, the question seemed rather pointless.

"Hole in one!" shouted the Prophet as she made her way over. "Or in this case I guess that's a, bulls eye. Get it? Bulls eye? Except he isn't a bull, he's a pony. I guess that makes it a ponies eye doesn't it? What do you think Starsong?"

Starsong, who was being forced to spend almost every waking moment with his captor, simply smiled and nodded. "Yeah... ponies eye. Good one." he replied.

The Prophet looked down at the guard and sighed. "You see what happens you aren't paying attention on guard duty? That happens! You can't tell me that's not what happens, because it just happened! Now get back up and finish your patrol. I'm not paying you to sleep after all. Then again you are paid by the month, not the hour. I guess technically you are paid even when you sleep. I'll have to talk to accounting about that."

The guard who was still standing gave his friend a hand in getting back up. The injured guards visor lifted to reveal golf ball was still stuck inside his eye socket; it was a miracle it didn't kill him. Then again glass that thick probably shouldn't have been so easily shattered by a flying golf ball in the first place. The guard did his best not to whimper at the pain as he got back on his feet.

"Don't feel too bad, we all make mistakes. The important thing is you learn from them." she said as she patted him on the back. The pat caused the golf ball to fly out of his socket, leaving a rather nasty looking hole where the eye used to be. "That's not good! I can't just have guards walking around missing eye balls. That's only fifty percent efficiency!"

The Prophet ran to a random air vent and produced a small robotic eye patch. "I keep eye patches stashed all over the ship, in case of eye patch emergencies." she said as she slapped it over his eye. The eye patch instantly activated, granting the guard sight once again, even if everything was now in a red tint. Normally such a device would require extensive surgery, but the Prophet had a way of getting things to work no matter how absurd it was.

"All better, now get back to work before I start practice bowling" she demanded. The two guards saluted, and nervously continued their patrol with renewed vigor. "And just like that, the entire guard details work ethic has been improved. I read somewhere that team sports help build and encourage synergy. Synergy is important to a positive and productive work environment after all right?" asked the Prophet.

Again Starsong nodded his head. "Well that was a very fine display of leadership madam Prophet. Has there been any word on the ship yet?" he asked.

"Yep, we've confirmed the location of its last known whereabouts and are en route. Once we get there, we'll find that mean old Dark Templar and give her what's coming!" she shouted.

"Right. Well perhaps I should return to my ship then. I'm sure the crew has been restocked by now" suggested Starsong.

"Why do you want to leave?! I thought we were friends!" asked the Prophet in a surprised voice.

"It's not that we aren't! It's just that once we get there, it'll probably be best if our ships spread out and search the area. My crew needs its captain and... I really want to try some of those synergy building techniques!" lied Starsong.

"Oh that's a great idea! You can borrow my nine Iron" said the Prophet as she offered the golf club to Starsong.

Happy to know he was finally free, if only temporarily, he would need to contact Zamara and inform her about the new developments.


Rain Sight was getting a tad bit annoyed with having to keep Sovereign around her house. It's not that he was doing anything annoying, it's just that she didn't like to think of herself as a house keeper for a prisoner. The day was coming to an end, and she was just waiting for Twilight to come and pick up the prisoner for transport.

She would do it herself, but she was given orders ahead of time not to do anything without Twilight's go ahead. Naturally her father would be more than a little displeased about handing over Sovereign. The two of them seemed to be getting along, and he seemed very lively now that he had a fellow Khalai to talk to, but orders were orders.

Finally after hours of waiting, she received a message, but not in the way she was expecting it. A voice came into her head, the voice of Twilight Sparkle. Lieutenant if you can hear me, don't think about Sovereign. And especially don't think about your naked bodies pressing against one another in that office, which by the way had a very filthy carpet.

How did you find out about-

I said don't think about it! You just did! interrupted Twilight.

Ma'am, I swear it's not how it looked. It if was security footage, I'm sure it was just an awkward angle. I assure you nothing happened! That kiss was just-

Can you make something happen? asked Twilight.

Ma'am! Wait... why are you contacting me telepathically? What's going on? asked Rain Sight.

There has been a development Lieutenant. Let me fill you in on the details. Rain Sight listened to Twilight as she explained that Hawkens had terminated the experiment. Twilight also informed her what she intended on continuing the project, with or without the authority of the director.

Rain Sight was nervous about Twilight's train of thought. She didn't feel comfortable disobeying orders, and the fact Hawkens didn't care much for her in the first place didn't help matters. Ma'am, I don't feel comfortable disobeying the director. This is dissidence!

Twilight expected that reaction. It was understandable given the fact that her grandfather's name "de Steelwing" left a black mark on her reputation. The last thing she'd want to do was soil her name further. Lieutenant, Hawkens is throwing away the opportunity of a life time. Imagine if we can recreate the effects at the merchant starport and apply it to a battle field. Hawkens isn't putting an end to the experiment because he wants what's best for the Dominion. He is doing it to protect his own reputation. He is going to deny the Dominion the weapon it needs-

-but not the one it deserves? interrupted Rain Sight.

A moment of silence followed. Walked right into that one didn't I? asked Twilight. It's moments like this that made Twilight never doubt Rain Sight's devotion to Imperial culture. Well played references aside, I need you for this Lieutenant. I'm not going to waste time telling you that this is your chance to show up Hawkens. I'm not going to say that success here could dispel any doubts of your loyalty or competence. I'm not going to say that this is your chance to stand out and move out of your father's house.

I pay just as much rent as he does! interrupted Rain Sight.

And I'm sure you tell yourself that every night, but let's put individual glory aside for a moment. This is the chance of a lifetime for the Dominion, and I have no intention of throwing it away. If you care more about the Dominion than you do protecting Hawken's personal interest, you'll stand by me on this.

Frankly, Rain Sight would have done it for any of the other reasons given, but either one she choose was reason enough to cooperate. What do you need me to do? she asked.

Simple really. replied Twilight. Seduce Sovereign. Get him to break up with Sweetie Belle. If I'm right, that should be enough to drive her into the enraged state I'm looking for. Apparently the only way to unlock her full potential is to trigger a particular emotional response. Once we've unlocked her full power, it shouldn't be to hard to utilize it in the future.

Seduce him?! How am I going to do that?! asked Rain Sight.

Damn it Lieutenant, you're Dominion intelligence! We're every stallions bane! We're the mares no male can resist! Figure it out! replied Twilight.

Ma'am I've never really... had any experience in this. Like you said, I live with my dad. It's kind of a turn off for most stallions. The only reason I was able to kiss Sovereign last time was because I drugged him, and I'm pretty sure that hurt my chances. said Rain Sight nervously, and with some embarrassment.

Twilight facehooved when she heard that. You don't drug them until you're... don't we give classes on this?! asked Twilight.

It didn't seem relevant at the time ma'am! replied Twilight. Can't you do it?

I've already had my go with him, and I'm pretty sure I'm in worst standing than you are. said Twilight. Try making him dinner. The way to a stallions heart is through his arteries you know?

Actually ma'am, I'm pretty certain arteries pumps blood out of the heart, not into it. You're thinking blood vessels, corrected Rain Sight.

No one likes a smart ass Lieutenant. You're obviously horrible at this, so try using a sob story about how your grandfather's reputation ruined your life, and how much you miss your dead mother. Use the sympathy route, that usually works. Remember, the trick to the emotionally disturbed brooding mare is that you seem desperate enough to sleep with someone, but don't make it seem like you are looking for a husband. That just scares them off. Now get to it! When you're ready I'll lead Sweetie Belle to your place. replied Twilight before severing the link.

Rain Sight sat down and took a deep breath. "Hmm... how do you get a stallion to break up with his mare friend?" she asked herself. She looked over to the table filled with home made narcotics. Maybe it's best to just stick with what she knows?


Scootaloo followed Rainbow Dash through the hall. She wanted to try to make small talk, but she didn't really know what to say. The fact Rainbow Dash was a captain meant she was a veteran and probably had all sorts of amazing stories to tell. What could someone like Scootaloo say? I didn't get my cutie mark until recently this month? That certainly would make her sound respectable. Finally Scootaloo built up the nerve to speak.

"So umm... how did you end up in the corps?" she asked. What kind of stupid question is that?! I just asked her who she murdered! Who the hell ask someone something like that?

"For a mare, you sure have a lot of balls, you know that?" Scootaloo became even more nervous, thinking she might have just earned herself a bullet through the leg. "Normally I'd kill you for asking me that, but I'm in a good mood today, so I guess I'll play long." she said. "I killed someone. Any other obvious questions you would like me to answer?" she asked.

Scootaloo just shook her head in embarrassment. Rainbow Dash chuckled at the young mare. "Relax squirt, I'm just messing with you. Stop looking so nervous." said Rainbow Dash.

"I'm not nervous," replied Scootaloo with a slightly cracked voice.

Before either of the mares could say anything else, Card Shark walked by the two of them. "Hey Scoots. We're still up for dinner later tonight right?" he asked. "My room of course. Not that your cell isn't comfortable, but I'd rather not sit on the floor."

"Oh.. ye-yeah." said Scootaloo.

"Are you alright?" he asked.

"I'm fine!" she quickly replied.

Before Card Shark could say anything else, a loud voice came from across the hall. "Sergeant Card Shark! Get in here!"

Card Sharked sighed heavily. "How hard is it to look away when the static starts?" he whispered to himself. "I'll talk to you later, looks like your father is having trouble with slender mare again," he replied as he walked off.

"Dinner in his bedroom huh?" Rainbow Dash let out a long whistle. "Do you and him have something going on?" asked Rainbow Dash.

"No, not really. Not yet anyway. I mean... we've talked a bit. I want to know him better, but we haven't really had much time for obvious reasons. Right now he mostly just watches me when I'm in the bathroom-" Scootaloo suddenly realized how awkward that sounded. She noticed Rainbow Dash lifting a curious eyebrow. "It's not how it sounds!" Scootaloo quickly added.

"Oh, ok then." replied Rainbow Dash. "For a moment I thought he was watching you whenever you take a dump, or he is seeing you naked when you shower."

"No!... well... ok yes he does," said Scootaloo with her cheeks turning bright red.

Rainbow Dash chuckled at her again. "Well it is a prison. And you are getting to that age when you start trying things," said Rainbow Dash.

Again Scootaloo's face turned red. She was giving a new meaning to the term "crash and burn." Can I possibly sound any dumber? Scootaloo thought to herself. She decided to try and change the subject before she embarrassed herself even further. "So where are we going exactly?" asked Scootaloo.

"To the shuttle bay." replied Rainbow Dash. "I have jet-packs fueled up on board, and plenty of ammo. We'll need the first. Hopefully not the latter, but it pays to prepared."

Scootaloo couldn't believe what she had just heard. Was she planning a break out? She was a veteran, how could she not be taking the kill switches into account? "Whoa! What do we need that for?!" asked Scootaloo. "Please don't tell me you're about to try something stupid." Scootaloo just realized she insulted her potential future officer. "I mean no disrespect of course." she quickly added.

"Squirt, just trust me on this one. We don't have long before-" Rainbow Dash was cut off by the sound of a rather disturbing message on the intercom. When it was finally over, the entire prison was silent. "Damn it, I thought we'd have more time. Squirt, follow me, keep your head down and your pistols ready," whispered Rainbow Dash.

Scootaloo couldn't believe it. The kills switches were offline? Her records have been erased? She had no clue how this could have happened, but all signs pointed to this cyan mare having something to do with it. "What the hell is going on?!" whispered Scootaloo hoping to get a straight answer. Rainbow Dash didn't reply. She just continued leading Scootaloo to the shuttle bay.

Throughout the prison, guards and inmates all looked at one another. Everyone slowly reached for their weapons, waiting to see who would make the first move. Rainbow Dash knew she didn't have long. It was only a matter of time before all hell broke lose. Finally, the inevitable sound of gun fire went off in the distance as guards rushed to put down as many prisoners as possible, while the inmates returned fire in kind.

It wasn't just the inmates though. A number of veteran reapers were also in the ice house, and they too had joined in the fight. It didn't take long before the armory was overrun, and dozens of new inmates were now outfitted and armed. Other reapers stormed the cell block, shooting open all the locks to add more inmates into the fight. Screams, gunfire and death filled the air as both sides fought for their very survival.

Scootaloo couldn't believe what was happening. She didn't know what to do. As long as she wore her reaper outfit, or her orange inmate suit underneath, she was a target for the guards. But if she didn't do anything to defend herself, she would be gunned down for certain. All she could think of was to continue following Rainbow Dash, who seemed to be talking on a radio with someone.

"Rainbow Dash, who are you talking to?!" she yelled. Keeping her voice down didn't seem to play a purpose anymore with the sound of gun fire filling the air.

"Squirt, just shut up and follow me!" she demanded. Scootaloo didn't bother arguing. She suddenly felt a hand grab her from behind. Scootaloo turned around to see it was Card Shark.

"Scoots! What are you doing? They'll kill you if you make a run for it!" he shouted.

"Back off, she's with me!" shouted Rainbow Dash pointing her pistol at him. Card Shark pointed his rifle back at her.

Scootaloo was quick to step between the two of them in hopes of keeping things from getting bloodier than they already were. "Card Shark... I... I don't know what I'm doing alright. What the hell am I supposed to do? The guards will kill me on sight."

"You're the warden's daughter and everyone knows it. No one is going to shoot you I promise. Just stay with me alright? I'll make sure-" Card Shark was cut off by the sound of a bullet as his visor shattered and his blood splashed on Scootaloo's face.

Scootaloo was frozen. She couldn't believe that had just happened. Scootaloo turned around to see Rainbow Dash holding a smoking pistol in his direction. "Why did you do that!" shouted Scootaloo.

Rainbow Dash didn't bother answering. She simply grabbed her by the hand and pulled her through the door. Scootaloo didn't want to go with her anymore, not after she had just murdered her friend like that. Unfortunately at the moment she saw no other choice. As she hesitantly followed the cyan mare, doors closed behind them while the doors in front opened.

Someone was clearly pulling the strings in the background, and Scootaloo couldn't help but wonder who. Who was responsible for all of this? Who just aided in the murder of the only friend she had made in this forsaken hell hole?

Finally they reached the shuttle bay. Three guards met them ready to shoot. Scootaloo should have reached for her weapon, but she froze instead. Scootaloo closed her eyes and waited; the sound of gun fire went off. As Scootaloo opened her eyes, she found that Rainbow Dash had cut all three of them down with relative ease. "Damn it kid, fire your weapon. They aren't here to take you back to your cell, they're going to kill us if they see us again!"

"I... I can't! This isn't right!" shouted Scootaloo.

Rainbow Dash was getting tired of her terrified attitude. She was supposed to be a reaper by now. She had already committed a murder if she was here, three more shouldn't have hurt.

One of the shuttle bay doors opened, and the shuttle started on its own. "That's our ticket, lets go!" demanded Rainbow Dash as she made her way to the shuttle. When she reached the shuttle, she turned around to see Scootaloo just standing there. "What are you waiting for! We got to move now!"

Scootaloo didn't like where this was going. But she now realized she had no choice. Odds are every single prisoner was going to be put down by the time this prison break was over. Even her own father would probably not be able to protect her once word of the prison break got out. She took a deep breath, put her fears aside and climbed on board.

"We're in, get us out of here!" shouted Rainbow Dash into her suits radio. The shuttle bay doors shut behind them and the ship took off. It seemed to be on auto pilot. Rainbow Dash quickly suited up her jet pack, and passed the other one to Scootaloo. "Get it on squirt, we'll have to leave the shuttle behind pretty quickly." Scootaloo froze with the jet-pack in her hands. "Come on! We have to be ready to move again."

"I'm... I'm sorry. It's just a bit much is all," replied Scootaloo as she got her jet back on.

Rainbow Dash sighed. She couldn't help but think of her own little sister when she looked at the sadness in her eyes. "Listen... Scoots. I'm sorry for being short. But right now I really need you to focus alright? We aren't in the clear yet." Scootaloo nodded which brought a smile on Rainbow Dash's face. "We're going to make it out of here alright?"

"Rainbow Dash..." said Scootaloo.

"Yeah what is it?" asked Rainbow Dash.

Scootaloo took a deep breath. "Did you have to kill Card Shark?" she asked, her face fur still stained in her friends blood. "He was the only friend I had in there. He even saved me on the first day when a stallion tried to..." Scootaloo stopped as she remembered that day she was almost raped by that stallion. He claimed he was just following his orders, but none of the other inmates seemed to care at all, even when he had mounted her. "I know we weren't that close yet, but I wanted to get to know him better. You could have just shot him in the foot or something! You didn't have to kill him!" she shouted.

Rainbow Dash didn't really know what to say in this situation. She normally didn't have to justify herself to anyone. But she couldn't risk letting Card Shark talk Scootaloo into staying. "I'm sorry. I don't know what else to tell you squirt... Scoots."

"Who the hell are you anyway? I heard you talking on the radio to someone, they did this didn't they!? Why did they do this?!" she asked. A tear was making her way down her cheek. Scootaloo wasn't particularly happy to have been sent to the ice house, but by now she had accepted her new role in life.

She'd grown used to spending evenings with her father especially. She believed once her training was complete, he would let her contact her mother and Apple Bloom. Let them know she was alright. Now she'd never be able to. She was a fugitive now. She would have to leave Dominion space. She'd never get to see Apple Bloom again, or her mother, or her father ever again. Once again Scootaloo was alone.

Before Rainbow Dash could answer the question, an alert on the shuttle went off. The two mares made their way to the cockpit and heard a voice over the radio. "Shuttle four, you are not cleared for take off. Turn the ship around immediately or I will open fire." Rainbow Dash looked out the window and saw an enemy fighter flying beside them. He looked at her through the cockpit and pointed straight down.

Rainbow Dash spoke through her own personal radio again to the mysterious benefactor. "We have a problem. One of the fighters is on to us, can you shut it down?... Well hurry up, I can't stall him for very long!" she got onto the shuttle radio to respond to the enemy pilot. "Listen, this ship is on an auto pilot, we can't shut it down."

The radio was silent for a moment. As the two mares looked through the cockpit of the fighter, they could tell he was getting a message of his own. The radio went live again, this time a different voice coming through. "Scootaloo, are you on that shuttle?" said the voice of Warden Iron Feather.

"Dad!" shouted Scootaloo through the radio. "I'm sorry. I don't know what's going on. Everyone just started shooting, and I followed someone to the shuttle bay and... I don't' know what to do! What do I do dad!?"

"Scootaloo listen to me. No one needs to know about this. Just turn that shuttle around, we'll work it out. Please come back... I love you." replied her father.

Scootaloo's face was now filled with tears and anger. She reached for her pistol and pointed it towards Rainbow Dash. "Tell whoever the hell is on that other line to turn the ship around!" she demanded.

"I can't do that squirt, I'm not going back. Shoot me if you want, but it won't change anything." replied Rainbow Dash.

"Dad I- I can't stop the ship. I'm sorry..." said Scootaloo to her father.

Rainbow Dash looked outside the cockpit to see the other fighter had broken off his pursuit. "I've ordered the fighter to let you go. Don't worry honey, I won't let anything happen to you. What ever happens, just get to the star port by the colony. I'll send someone to pick you up. If its too far, stay in the shuttle until someone arrives. Everything is going to be alright, I promise. I love-"

His voice was interrupted by the voice of other stallions, one of which shouted. "There he is, kill him!" followed by the sound of gunfire.

Scootaloo's heart began to race as she tried to contact her father again. "Dad? Dad!" No sound came through the radio. Scootaloo's suit dropped to its knees. Her hooves were trembling under her armor, her teeth were grinding, her heart was racing, and her eyes were burning. If she were conscious the day Sweetie Belle had died, she imagined herself feeling the same way she felt now. Finally she rose her pistol to Rainbow Dashes face. "You did this! You killed him! You killed them both!"

Rainbow Dash was unflinching as she stared down the barrel of her weapon. "That's not going to bring them back Scoots." she said.

She was right, it wouldn't. But it certainly would make her feel better. No, that isn't what she needed. The only purpose killing Rainbow Dash would serve was removing her only lead to her father's real killer. That is who Scootaloo wanted dead. Rainbow Dash could wait. For now, she had a more important matter to attend to.

PreviousChapters Next