• Published 2nd May 2013
  • 5,606 Views, 672 Comments

The Koprulu Sector - TheKopruluSectorUnion



It's not easy growing up in this sector of space. It's a place ran by fanatics, warlords and corporate empires of all sorts. The CMC are about to enter adulthood in one of the most violent eras of pony history.

  • ...
16
 672
 5,606

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 18: Lord Smooze

Warden Iron Feather slowly made his way through the forest. His heart was pounding, his hooves were trembling, his breathing was getting harder to control, but he had to stay focused. "Just one more note" he said to himself. There it was, the final note in front of him. It was daring him to grab it. Iron Feather went into a full sprint, his vision tunneling on the target. Then came the static.

"No no no!" he said as he turned to the right. The static continued so he quickly turned 180 degrees to the left, but the static only worsened. Finally, he looked straight up hoping to avoid the death bringing gaze, but to no avail. The static proceeded to envelop his entire screen. "Damn it!" he shouted. "I wasn't even looking at her!"

The warden calmed down and waited patiently for the static to go away. A whole minute passed, eventually two, but the static continued. He tried resetting the computer, but that didn't seem to work either. "Piece of junk" he said to no one in particular. Iron Feather pushed down on the intercom button to contact maintenance. "Hey, the computer is busted, and I'm in the middle of some very important work right now. Get someone up here." Iron Feather waited for a reply, but no one came through. Either they were being particularly lazy today, or the intercom was also broken. He picked up his office phone, but all the lines seemed to be down as well. "What the hell is going?" he asked himself.

His door opened, and a technician nervously entered his office. There was a look of terror on the stallions face as he tried to get the words out. "Warden... we have a problem."


It was a good day for Lyra. Not only had she successfully interrogated a High Templar of the Khalai, but his mind had recently linked to a Dark Templar as well, giving her plenty of info on a particular hornless Khalai exile. Always in a cheerful mood after a successful interrogation, she happily took Starsong to her ship preparing to place him in cryo pod. She knew better than to keep a conscious Khalai on her ship. The last thing she needed him to do was reach out for help when she wasn't awake to suppress his telepathic signals.

To Lyra's delight, her partner had also returned with a catch of his own. Lyra recognized her as well, she was the mare that Starsong had recently linked with, so there was no need for another interrogation. Good thing too because interrogating a mare was never as enjoyable. What made her important was the fact she was a young fertile Khalai mare. It was safe to assume she had no trace of bad clone genetics in her, and would probably produce some powerful unicorns herself. Dominion Intelligence was always looking to expand its numbers.

"It looks like we have a bit of a problem here," she said to her companion. "Two captives and only one Cryo pod. Well I've already extracted the stallions memories, so he's no longer useful. We'll take the mare with us."

The stallion unsheathed his blade and was about to slit open Starsongs throat before Lyra stopped him. "What are you doing?!" she asked. The stallion gestures to the blade and Starsongs neck as if he were asking if it wasn't obvious. Lyra sighs at him. "You're lucky you're strong, because you aren't very bright," she said.

The stallion glared at her, demanding an explanation. "Well, since you asked, he is a Khalai. Pray I wonder, what happens to a Khalai's memories when he dies?" The stallions expression turned into one of embarrassment for not realizing what he had almost done. "Exactly! The last thing we need is for the Khalai to know we have one of their operatives while we're still in Consortium space. I'd rather not be facing down a Khalai warship out here."

The stallion placed the knife over Starsongs horn, then looked towards Lyra for approval. "No, there is more to it than just cutting it off. You have to sever certain appendages in the brain for dehorning to work. And unless you're a brain surgeon, you'll probably just kill him, which lands us back on our earlier dilemma." The stallion throws his hooves into the air in frustration.

"Clam down. We don't have to kill him, we just need to make sure he can't send any useful signals for a few days," said Lyra. She produced another syringe and filled it with a clear liquid. "Don't worry handsome. You're about to be in for the ride of your life." Lyra paused and thought back to the days earlier events. "Well maybe second best if you include earlier today." Lyra proceeded to inject the liquid into Starsong's side. She also left him with most of his winnings from the tables as well. "Have fun, and don't spend it all at once," she said as she kissed him on the cheek.

"I just realized something," said Lyra to her stallion companion as he was about to lift Starsong. "We sure do drug a lot of people don't we? Last time we were here, I had to drug that kids sweet roll while his parents weren't looking so you could abduct him. Remember what the police told his parents? 'Let me guess, someone drugged your sweet roll?'" The two ponies shared in a good laugh at the memory. "I guess you're right. It's a steady supply of abductions that keeps us employed after all."

The stallion picked up Starsong and hid him behind a dumpster while Lyra readied the ship. Minutes later they were out of orbit, and en route to Dominion Space. Lyra's ambitions were starting to rise. A few months ago, Twilight Sparkle was given much praise for capturing not only a Khalai Preserver, but also bringing in a young mare who was a psychic prodigy. She had recently fallen from grace when both of her prizes had escaped in a rather humiliating manner for Agent Sparkle.

If Lyra had interpreted the recently extracted memories correctly, this particular mare had a strong relation with the renegade Preserver. She might just be able to use that to her advantage.


There was a silence in the dirty old cock pit. This was it, the moment of truth that Apple Bloom had been working towards during the last few weeks. All the pieces were now in place, and all she needed to do was give the command.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" asked Jet Stream. "She's gotten really good from what we've seen. She should be able to survive the third month of training just fine on her own."

Apple Bloom didn't reply. She just kept staring at the keyboard.

"Maybe we can let her finish her training, then turn off the kill switch after they let her out?" suggested Jet Stream.

"They'll have files on her all over the Dominion if I wait." explained Apple Bloom. "If I don't crash the system now, they'll be able to use back ups to pull up her file later. Right now, she is still an inmate. They just view her as another expendable asset. If I can mark her as killed in training, they'd never bother her again. If I want her to be free, it has to be now."

"But you've seen the things she been through. She's killed people. She might not be the same person you remember her to be." suggested Jet Stream.

"She was forced to do those things!" argued Apple Bloom.

"I know, but I'm just saying: After going through the things she's been through in there, maybe she doesn't want come back to a normal life?" said Jet Stream. "You saw her expression when she killed that inmate in the mess hall."

"She was defending herself." said Apple Bloom.

"Yeah, but you could see it in her eyes. She wanted to kill him, and she did it without a second thought or regret. Normal ponies don't do that. Even you admitted you were shaken when you had to kill that reaper in the shelter." said Jet Stream.

"Well what are you suggesting then? We just leave her in there?" asked Apple Bloom.

"Well... yes." said Jet Stream.

Apple Bloom couldn't believe what she was hearing. "But you wanted to help me free her! You wanted to meet her! Why are you saying this now?!"

"I wanted to meet the old Scootaloo. This Scootaloo is... someone entirely different now. That and take into consideration how much damage you are about to do. You've seen how they are, the reapers are crazy. You aren't just shutting down Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash's kill switch, but every other kill switch in the sector. How do you think a bunch of violent, and angry ponies will react when they just found out they've been freed?" asked Jet Stream.

"I know all about the reapers Jet Stream. We've both seen the videos a hundred-"

"You've seen nothing! Watching them through the security footage is one thing, unleashing them upon ponies is another. Once started, there is no going back. Are you prepared to go all the way with this?"

There was a moment of silence between the two of them. Finally Apple Bloom gave her response. "Yes... Yes I am prepared to go all the way, my good Jet Stream" Apple Bloom turns her focus to the keyboard, and began her work.


Sovereign wanted to chase after the pick pocket, but with his body battered and bruised, he was in no condition for a dramatic chase scene. Instead he continued on foot towards the merchant Starport. It wasn't too far, so if he hurried, he might be able get there before Fix It left. Just as importantly, perhaps he could confront Sweetie as well.

The main thing going through his head at the moment was Sweetie's betrayal. How could she do that to him? Was she really that desperate to get home that she would betray him just to save herself? No, he refused to believe Sweetie Belle would do something like that just out of self-preservation. Maybe it was out of fear? Twilight claimed she was being given the same conversation and offer. Perhaps Sweetie Belle believed Sovereign was going to betray her so she acted first in self defense? He found that answer easier to accept. At the same time it was almost as painful, because that meant she didn't trust him.

While he never said it, the last few weeks he had with her, while stressful, were enjoyable in their own twisted way. Sovereign did care for her, he thought he had made that very apparent while they were on the bus. But if she knew he cared about her, if she knew that he would never do anything to hurt her, then why wouldn't she trust him? It just wasn't making sense. He had to accept the possibility that perhaps the female mind was something that would forever be beyond his understanding.


"What do you mean our battle net has been hacked?!" asked the warden in a silent, yet clearly angry tone. "No one can break into our networks!"

"We aren't quite sure how either sir. We should have been able to detect anyone trying to force their way into the network. But we have a bigger problem at the moment" said the technician. "All the kill switches are down, and training is at its peak hours right now. Many of the inmates are currently at either a firing range, or a live fire exercise. They have live ammunition sir!"

Iron Feather couldn't believe what was happening. Who could have done this? The Confederates? No, they don't have the technical expertise for this. Maybe the Dark Templar decided to step up their operations in Dominion Space? If so, they've certainly chosen quite the target. "Sergeant Card Shark!" shouted the Warden. "Get in here!"

It didn't take long for Card Shark to make his way in. "Is it slender mare again sir?" he asked.

"No, nothing like that." replied the Warden. "The intercom is down, I need you gather some guards, and order them to inform all instructors to return all inmates to their cells immediately. Don't ask why, just do it."

"Yes sir." replied Card Shark.

Before he could leave, the intercoms came back online again, and a mares voice made an announcement. "Attention all inmates. We are sorry to inform you we are currently experiencing some technical difficulties with the battle net. As a result, all kill switches are now offline. Those of you who are currently in possession of weapons and live ammunition, please refrain from going on a violent rampage against the personal who have been executing you left and right these last few months. All records of nongraduates files have also been destroyed. Please do not attempt to escape until after we can reprocess you. Should you escape, we will be unable to track you down. Thank you for your cooperation, and have a nice day."

The intercom once again shut down, and the room was quiet. Whoever hacked their networks was playing a dangerous game.


Starsong had finally awoken from his ordeal, though his eyes were still closed. He had a terrible headache, like that of a hang over, but other than that his body seemed alright. He began trying to recollect what had happened to him. He remembered a mare inviting him to a hotel room, after which they did unspeakable things to one another. He wasn't sure if it was the worst experience he's ever had, or the best night of his life. He was having trouble remembering much of anything at the moment. He couldn't help but wonder why didn't Seeker make her move. In fact, he was wondering where was he now.

Starsong finally opened his eyes, and found himself back in his room. "How'd I get here?" he asked. The door opened, and one of the crewmen walked in with a tray of food.

"Oh, you're awake captain," she said. "You're probably wondering what happened."

"Start from the beginning," requested Starsong as he slowly got to his hooves. He was still very unbalanced for some reason.

"Unfortunately there isn't much to tell," she said. "We had to pick you up from a jail cell. Security had to arrest you because you were causing a public disturbance."

"What kind of disturbance?" asked Starsong.

The mare braced herself to explain the situation as tactfully as she could. "Well I don't want to get too graphic, but by the time they had finally found you, you were passed out naked in a dumpster. You also tested positive for a number of narcotics."

"What?!" shouted Starsong. That would explain his head ache and lack of balance.

"You had also won a lot money, so they just took about half of it as 'evidence' in exchange for your freedom. Knowing the Kel Morians, as long as they have their bits, I doubt there will be any political blow back from this."

"Well... that's something," was the only response Starsong could come up with towards this rather embarrassing revelation. "So where is Seeker?" he asked.

"We aren't entirely certain sir. I would recommend we abort our mission and return Khala space. This was just a trade mission after all, and you've brought back more than enough Kel Morian bits for it to be considered successful." she recommended. Clearly she had no sympathy for the missing Dark Templar.

"No, not yet." he replied.

"Sir, I don't think the crew are going to be willing to risk the ship, or the mission just to find a missing Dark Templar. After what happened, I'm not sure they would be willing to follow you on your chase without good reason," she said.

"Good reason? How is this for good reason. She has sensitive information. We have to either retrieve her or kill her, but we can't run the risk of letting her fall into enemy hands. I'm sure the Radiance doesn't want to be remembered as the ship that let a Dark Templar operative fall into the hands of Dominion Intelligence right?" said Starsong.

The entire ships crew suddenly felt the weight of shame as his words resonated through out the Khala. Starsong knew he had them back on his side, if only for the sake of honor. "Looks like everyone is in agreement about their new orders then. We have to find Seeker."

"Well sir, how do you intend we do that? We only have one cruiser, no leads, and certainly no friends in this part of space." she argued.

Starsong contemplated his options for a moment. She was right, they had no allies out here. But they did have a powerful enemy with the resources they needed. Besides the United Fleet, there was only one other group in Consortium space that could help him. "Do we still have those crates of Celestia's tears?" asked Starsong.

"Yes sir. Though I don't see how getting drunk is going to help. I think you've had enough of that for a while." she replied.

"It's not for me," he assured. "Take us into Diamond Dog territory. I think it's time we gave them back their cargo."


Sweetie Belle continued to make her way to the merchant Starport and had almost reached her destination. She had been delayed several hours because she wasn't able to leave the scene before K-sec showed up to question everyone. Many of the ponies did report her talking to him before she threw him out, and some were even able to recall some of the more intimate details of their conversation. Sweetie Belle used this to her advantage, and described it as a bad break up gone wrong. She felt horrible for passing off his death as a suicide, but turning herself in would serve no purpose right now. A few lies and a song and she was on her way again, even if significantly delayed.

The days tragic events were still fresh in her head though, and no matter what she did, she couldn't convince herself it wasn't her fault. She knew it was a bad situation to be in, she knew she had no other way out. She could only hope Sovereign would understand if he knew the truth. But that was the worst part of it. He didn't know the truth. All he knew before he died was that Sweetie Belle had betrayed him. She wasn't sure she could ever forgive herself for what she had been forced to do, much less expect Sovereign to do the same. Sovereign trusted her, he cared about her, and she was sure he would never do anything to hurt her. Yet she had thrown him out the window like he was nothing.

She was also considering their final conversation together. Why couldn't she tell him the truth? Why didn't she just tell him how she had felt? She couldn't deny it anymore. Sweetie Belle wasn't exactly sure when it happened, but somewhere along the line she did develop feelings for him. Now she had two regrets. Not being able to tell him why she did it, and not telling him that she loved him when she had the chance.

I loved him? she thought to herself. No! No no no! I can't be thinking that now, not after I just killed him! Sweetie Belle picked up her pace. Now wasn't the time to be lost in regret. There was a reason she didn't want to get close to him, and this is exactly why. I weighed my options, and made a decision that benefited the most parties involved. It was a tactically sound plan, that is all that matters. Trying to rationalize her actions did little to ease her pain. Even worse, Sweetie Belle had now reached another realization. Oh no... I'm starting to sound just like Twilight! If she truly believed what she was telling herself, then that means Twilights conditioning was working.

Who was she kidding? She didn't believe a word of what she had just told herself. She did feel guilty, she did regret hurting Sovereign, and she was regretting not saying anything while she had the chance. Thinking back on it now, he probably would have died happier if she had at least told him how she felt. Tragic considering the reason she said nothing in the first place was because she didn't want to hurt him. Why does life have to be so ironic?

She had spent so much time reflecting on her recent regrets, she didn't even notice she had already reached the Starport. She was late, but hopefully Fix It's crew had waited for her. They'd better have, because Fix It had already taken the dresses off her hooves days prior.

As she approached the merchant starport, she noticed some hooded doomsayers with signs, shouting about the coming apocalypse. It seemed no matter where you went in the sector, every world had its crazies. But one particular crazy was sticking out. Sovereign?! She couldn't believe it, he was alive! But... why was he with these nut jobs? Did I do this to him? The possibilities started running through her head. Perhaps the crash through the window gave him amnesia, and he woke up thinking he was one of them? Or maybe he had just taken it so badly that he had to find a cult to join in order to feel accepted?

Sweetie Belle started running towards him as he continued his ranting from on top of a bench. "Lord Smooze is returning! When he does, the entire sector will be filled with his smooze ooze! Only those who accept his name shall be spared! Repent! Repent!"

"Sovereign!" shouted a familiar voice. Sovereign looked down to see his would be killer, tears running down her cheeks as she charged towards him. He was admittedly feeling nervous. A part of him believed that she may have been here to finish the job. Regardless of what she had done, he still wanted answers. He also wanted to thank her. Had it not been for her attempt against his life, he would not have discovered the truth about what happened to the Terran and Protoss long ago.

Sovereign stepped down from the bench to meet her. Before he could even say "Sweetie Belle" she wrapped her hooves around him in an embrace and kissed him. Sovereign certainly wasn't expecting this. She is kissing you you idiot! Wrap your hooves around her and do the same! he thought to himself.

Before he could even do that much, she let go and began speaking at a pace almost too quick for him to understand. "I wasn't trying to kill you I swear! Ok, I was trying to kill you, but it's not because I wanted you to die. Twilight called me on that phone and told me that if I didn't kill you, she would kill everyone else! And I didn't want anyone everyone else to die, so please don't take it personally. You're the last person I want to hurt because I love you!"

Sovereign put a hoof over her lips to calm her down. "I'm sorry, you're going to have to say that again, but a bit more slowly"

Sweetie Belle did as he requested, and told him everything, with much greater detail. I knew she wasn't trying to betray me! Wait... did she just say she loved me? he asked. She didn't say anything. She just smiled, stared at him with her adorable, tear filled emeralds eyes and nodded. How could he stay mad at that? Even a hungry zerg wouldn't be able to stay angry at her.

"I'm sorry," she said hugging him.

Before he could reply, one of the other doomsayers interrupted. "Don't listen to her brother! She is a vile temptress sent by Lord Smooze to test your resolve! Surely your faith in the true word is stronger than this?"

Sovereign looked into Sweetie Belle beautiful eyes again, then at the raving doomsayers, then at Sweetie Belle, then at the doomsayers, then at Sweetie Belle again. Well this is an easy choice. he thought to himself. "She isn't a temptress, she came to join us actually."

"What?!" shouted Sweetie Belle.

"She'll help to mother more followers for the good word," continued Sovereign. "I need to take her to the conversation spa now. Don't worry, we'll be at the next meeting taking place in your mother's basement tonight," he assured.

"Very good brother!" said the doomsayer. "May the two of you breed many foals in his name!"

Sweetie Belle's face turned red with embarrassment at the remark. "What's the conversion spa?" she whispered with a hint of dread in her voice.

Sovereign took her hoof and walked away as fast as he could. "Don't ask. Just keep walking and don't make further eye contact."

"Ok that sounds like a good idea. But how did you end up with those guys?" asked Sweetie Belle.

"Remember when you threw me out of a bus window into a busy street in an attempt to end my life?" he asked.

Sweetie Belle looked away, feeling a mixture of guilt and embarrassment. "I somewhat remember... a particular situation... of circumstances similar to the event you just described... that may or may not have transpired some time ago... but at this point the details are so fuzzy who can say for sure right?" she said with a nervous smile.

"Yeah, I honestly don't remember much about it myself. I think at one point I hit my head on something, and now the whole thing is just a blur," said Sovereign.

"Really?!" exclaimed Sweetie Belle in a hopeful shout. "Ok, so what really happened was-"

"No, not really! You threw me out of a bus! I'm not going to forget that anytime soon!" he shouted. Sovereign noticed her eyes were starting to tear up again. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry! I didn't mean to yell."

"Well... I'll forgive you... this time." she replied. "I suppose."

Wait a minute! She threw me out of a bus and I'm the one apologizing? How did that happen? he pondered. "Well as I was saying, I had to make my way over on foot. While I was doing so, I noticed some crazy ponies shouting about how the world was going to end. Somehow listening to people saying things like, 'the end is coming, he shall return, all life will be extinguished' triggered a buried memory of mine. Well not mine, it belonged to the protoss Dark Templar Zeratul."

"Who is that?" asked Sweetie Belle.

"He was the Protoss hero whose memories I absorbed through the crystal. I don't know much else about him yet," admitted Sovereign. "But I'm pretty sure he also tried to warn everyone about an upcoming disaster. Something called... Amon. He was the one who wiped out the Terrans and the Protoss. For a moment I thought that those guys had information I needed. It turns out they were just some lunatics talking about a blob of ooze or something. But they had a van and were on their way to the Starport, so I tagged along."

"Well that explains how you met them, but why were you chanting with them?" asked Sweetie Belle.

"I wanted to wait for you at the Starport, but I lost my hat when you threw me out of the bus. I needed to do something to get your attention when you showed up, but I couldn't do that with my exposed sawed off horn without attracting other unwanted attention." he explained. "They were giving out free hoods so..."

"Couldn't you just buy a new hat?" she asked.

Sovereign was a bit embarrassed to say the next part. "I was... pick pocketed" he admitted lamely.

Sweetie Belle laughed as she hugged Sovereign again. "That is typical you. I just can't leave you alone for two minute without you getting yourself into trouble can I?" she asked.

It was embarrassing to admit, but all signs pointed to yes.

Author's Note:

This one kind of jumps around all over the place. I have so many character events going on its hard to keep them all covered chapter to chapter. But so much stuff has been going on in the story right now I need to get everyone caught up as best I can. Bear with me please.

The Sweet Roll line was Gapeagle's material. Give him a pat in the back for that one.

KSU Note:Thank you refferee for the corrections:eeyup:

PreviousChapters Next