• Published 2nd May 2013
  • 5,604 Views, 672 Comments

The Koprulu Sector - TheKopruluSectorUnion



It's not easy growing up in this sector of space. It's a place ran by fanatics, warlords and corporate empires of all sorts. The CMC are about to enter adulthood in one of the most violent eras of pony history.

  • ...
16
 672
 5,604

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 11: An annoying Light in the Darkness

Another week of training had gone by. Sweetie Belle's control over her power had continued to grow, though not as quickly as she had hoped. She was grateful for the training she’d receive so far, she never would have imagined becoming this powerful outside the academy. But she could tell Twilight was purposely delaying her progress.

It was her fourth week of training now, and Sweetie Belle was given a day off. She was encouraged to meditate and hone her mental discipline on her own. It seemed Twilight was on official business today, so Sweetie Belle made the most of it. She decided she would pass the time with by singing. It had been awhile now since she had just sat down and enjoyed her favorite pass time. She closed her eyes and drifted into song.

Remember those who fall today

A prayer for all of the dead

No glory to be found in this

The blood that we have shed

Peace and friendship we forgot

How’d we lose our way?

Death and suffering everywhere

That’s the price we pay.

It doesn’t have to be that way.

Sweetie Belle stopped her singing and opened her eyes. “Who said that? Where are you?” she asked.

I’m not in the room with you, but I’m not to far either.

“Are you in my mind? Get out of my head!” Sweetie Belle began focusing on putting up mental barriers just as Twilight had taught her.

Please… I just want… to talk! I need… your help. If you sever this connection… I’ll be forced back… into remission. The voice had weakened, but she could still hear it.

Sweetie Belle cautiously listened to what it had to say, but was still prepared to push it out entirely if she found it attempted anything hostile. “What do you want? Where are you?”

I… don’t exactly know where I am. It’s dark. I can’t move anything. I can’t even open my eyes. I’m think I’m being kept unconscious. And if so, then I’m probably also being kept prisoner. All I know is you somehow woke my mind just now.

“Then… you’re the enemy. I can’t help you. Now get out of my head!” demanded Sweetie.

You gave off a powerful psychic wavelength a moment ago. You pushed your emotions onto those around you. I can tell you aren’t like the others. You don’t want to be here. I don’t either. We can help each other.

“If you’re a prisoner, then you have to be dangerous," reasoned Sweetie.

If you’re a ghost, then you have to be a killer. But I don’t think you’ve killed anyone… yet. You know as well as I do what they’ll eventually expect of you.

“I know… I don’t want to do it but… I can’t just leave. I need their help.”

You don’t. She is lying to you. I can help you.

Sweetie Belle was quite for a moment. She knew for a fact Twilight was keeping something from her. But she still wasn’t sure who or what this voice was, or why it was trapped in the first place. “If you aren’t dangerous, then why did they imprison you?”

Same reason they imprisoned you I’d assume. They thought I could be useful, so they’ve kept me here... wherever 'here' is. I don’t know how long its been.

“They didn’t imprison me.”

Are you telling me you can leave whenever you want?

“I’ve walked out before, no one stopped me.”

But you keep coming back. So you want to be a killer?

“No!”

Then why come back?

“ I had to come back. The pain was still there.”

I can make the pain go away. I can show you what she is hiding from you.

“You’ll say anything to get me to free you.”

I don’t need to be free to fix your broken mind. If I fix your mind now, will you free me later?

Sweetie Belle had to admit it was a tempting offer. She was still trying to recover her memories, but progress was slow. It seemed the deeper into her memories she searched, the more painful the migraines became. “How do you intend to fix me?”

They implanted a device inside your brain. It picks up on certain repressed memories. I can bring back those memories, and hide them from the device. I’m going to reach into your thoughts. You’re a powerful psychic, so I can’t do anything unless you let me in. When I reach out to touch your thoughts, just reach out and touch mine. When we link, I’ll be able to undo the damage.

“But you’d have complete control. I don’t know if I can trust you…”

They have completely control over you right now. They can make the pain come and go whenever they feel like it. You’ll never be free working for them. I’m offering you a chance that may never come along again. I mean you no ill will. Remember, I need you to free my body and wake me up. I won’t be able to do that if I cause any harm to your mind.

Sweetie Belle could sense its presence in the room with her. It was feint, and she could repel it if it attempted to assault her mind. But it did seem like too good of an opportunity to pass up. “Alright… I’ll let you in.”

Sweetie Belles mind reached out to the presence and made contact. She found herself no longer in her room, but instead reliving recent past memories. What happened in the cave, her friends Scootaloo and Apple Bloom, most importantly, the purple unicorn that brought her here. Sweetie Belles eyes opened and she could barely withhold her anger. “Twilight” she uttered to herself.

The implant in your brain will no longer function. Your memories are yours again. But I’m also stuck in here now until you get me to my body.

“You didn’t tell me about that!”

I was afraid you’d say no.

“Of course I’d say no!”

Then I guess my fears were justified. Now you can either complain, or you can help free me so we’ll never have to see each other again.

“Fine… where do I start?”

Now that I’ve linked minds with yours, I’ll be able to see and hear everything you do. Walk around the facility, I need to get a good idea of the layout, and perhaps find out where they are keeping my body.

“Wait! You can see… EVERYTHING? Because there are some things people like to keep private.”

Then I hope you don’t need to shower anytime soon, because I’m not leaving until you fulfill your end of the bargain.

“I noticed you were a lot nicer before I gave you what you wanted.”

What do you expect, I’m a guy. Now get to it.


It was now the fifth week of training for Scootaloo. The physical training exercise periods during the first month were moved out of the routine in order to make room for more training in marksmanship and close quarter combat. The fifth week of training was a big week for Scootaloo. It was the week they would be instructed on the proper use of their jet packs. Scootaloo did miss soaring in the sky. It wasn’t the same, but being able to finally get off the ground made her feel like a Pegasus again. Naturally the Pegasus inmates had an easier time learning flight with their jet packs, but after the second day of flight training, it seemed all the inmates had a good grasp on it.

The jets were controlled by either a control panel built into the suit, or by a smaller controls built into the side of their weapons. For this reason, the inmates were allowed to select whichever of the weapons they had felt most comfortable with. While most preferred the tried and tested C-14 rifle, Scootaloo had grown to like her trusty scythe pistols.

After the inmates had all received five days of flight training, it was time to put it to the test. One by one inmates entered a large dome chamber, and after several minutes most inmates would leave. Scootaloo noticed some left with injuries, and other didn’t leave at all. But whatever was in there, she felt ready for it. It was now her turn to enter the dome.

Scootaloo was given her pistols with only one magazine each, as well as a HFB. The inside of the dome mimicked an empty urban environment. Scootaloo made her way down one of the streets keeping an eye open for anything suspicious. She heard the sound of something scurrying behind her. She turned around and saw nothing, but she recognized the noise. She listened carefully and heard what she was certain was faint breathing. Scootaloo pointed her pistol to a wall of a restaurant, and fired a single shot.

A scream came from the other side of the wall, then an angry zerging smashed out of the window and charged towards her. It was bleeding from a stub that used to be a tail, but the pain didn’t seem to slow it down any. Scootaloo put another rounds into it causing it to fall forward.

The gunfire had attracted more zerg. Scootaloo could see more zerglings smashing through a number of windows around her. She held her ground gunning down each one of them before they could get anywhere near her.

Then she felt the ground under her rumbling. A hydradlisk burst out from under her almost knocking her down, but she used her jet pack to quickly launch herself into the air. It was a good thing too, the sudden upwards motion from the jets caused her to dodge a burst of spines the hydralisk had fired. She quickly returned fire in kind, putting three rounds in its chest, then two more in the head.

Scootaloo landed with her back to a wall, and then scanned the area for more zerg. The wall behind her smashed open and she was shoved by another emerging hydralisk. As she turned around she found the hydralisk about to bring its right scythe across her chest. Scootaloo took a step back with her right hoof and side stepped the attack, then brought her pistol up to meet the hydralisk head. Before she could pull the trigger the hydralisk brought its right scythe up again, slapping her with its blunt backside.

Rather than being knocked down from the force of the impact, she used the momentum to execute a dance like spin. She was always quite the dancer, and remembered what she told her friend Apple Bloom once. “You just have to keep your head forward until the very last minute.” By the time she had completely spun around, the hydralisk was in the process of another attack with its scythe again. Before it could connect, Scootaloo activated her jet packs and shoulder slammed into its chest interrupting the attack.

She wrapped her arms around the hydralisk while continuing to fly forward sending the hydralisk through two walls before pulling up, smashing through two ceilings, then another wall, launching it out the side of the building. The hydralisk fell helplessly to the ground and smashed it’s spine on the streets below. As it looked up, the last thing it saw was Scootaloo's boot descending towards its face.

Scootaloo rose again to see another hydralisk emerge from an alley. She didn’t give it a chance to fire it’s spines as she filled it full of holes with her pistols. To her left she saw another pack of zerglings closing distance. Scootaloo emptied what was left of her magazines into the stampeding zerg, leaving only two remaining. She holstered her pistols and unsheathed her HFB. Scootaloo stood her ground waiting for the pair of angry zerg to make their attack.

Finally the first of the zerglings closed distance and leaped for her with reckless abandon. Knowing that attacking that first zerg would leave her open for attack from the second zergling, she used her jets to jump to her right, dodging the attack. While the first zergling was turning its self after its failed attack, she jet charged after the second zergling. The zergling eagerly accepted her challenge and raised its claws to attack. Scootaloo deactivated her jets, dropping to the ground and sliding feet first across the street right past the zergling. As she slid past it, she activated her HFBs diamond saw and ran it across its side, releasing its entrails.

The lone zergling, seeing its opponent on the ground, made another charge. With the diamond saw still spinning, she threw the weapon into the zerg. The zerling unintentionally devoured the still spinning blade, then fell to the floor screaming in pain as the blade continued to cutaway at its innards. Scootaloo watched it squirm as blood flew from its mouth. The scene only lasted a few seconds, though she imagined it seemed like an eternity to the unfortunate creature. Finally when she was sure it was dead, she reached into its mouth and retrieved her weapon. Besides being a bit slimy from the blood and saliva, it didn’t seem any worse for wear.

A familiar voice came over an intercom. “Congratulations hun. That’s the best performance the boys and I have seen all day. That’s all for tonight, come by the office after you've finished changing over, I got you a cake to celebrate.”

Scootaloo blushed with embarrassment. She was grateful her father was so willing to spend time with her, and to his credit, he kept it from interfering with her training. In fact, his personal training was quickly making her the best reaper in her cell block. But she knew the special treatment was costing her the respect of the guards and other inmates. Still, no inmate in their right mind would pass up a chance for a free cake.

As Scootaloo and went to the changing room to remove her armor, she noticed something different. When she looked down at her flank, it was marked with a zergling skull with a bullet hole on its forehead. Behind it were two grim reaper scythes crossed like an X. If there were ever any doubt she had a talent for killing zerg, they had just been put to rest. Thinking back to all the events she did with her friends in the CMC, it all seemed like it was preparing her for the reaper corps. She realized owed it all to the support from her friends. It was a long time coming, but the Cutie Mark Crusaders had finally accomplished their mission. She only wished her friends could be there for it.


It was lights out in the cell block now. It had been a good day today. Aside from the cake, her father also had another hay salad prepared. Their nightly dinners together were not only enjoyable, but it turns out they where in the best interest of her mental health. Her father informed her that the food in the mess halls was spiked with a number of drugs to make inmates more lethargic. It would explain why all the other inmates had become so passive over the last few weeks. Fortunately for the first four weeks, that other inmate would steal her food, so she never took in enough drugs to become a mindless slave like the rest of them. The food Card Shark was dropping off at her cell was free of the drugs on her fathers orders.

Scootaloo heard a beeping sound coming from the tablet she hid under her sheets. She examined it and read the message, “Congratulations on your cutie mark. We’ll have to celebrate once you get you out of there.” Scootaloo smiled. At least dad is being subtle about it, she thought to herself. She placed the tablet back under the sheets and drifted off to sleep. The fifth week was over, and she couldn’t imagine it going any better.


The voice told Sweetie Belle that Twilight most likely held the knowledge needed for their escape. In order to access her thoughts, she would need to be in a state of complacency, so Sweetie Belle spent the next two weeks of her training pretending to be the model student. She did everything Twilight asked of her. She had completely stopped talking back and complaining about rate of progress. To her knowledge, Twilight was completely unaware of her new room mate.

Twilight was particularly pleased about Sweetie Belle's change in attitude. Stubbornness wasn’t anything she hadn’t dealt with before. Many students have a hard time adjusting, and she figured Sweetie Belle was no exception. But now she was taking all of her training seriously, and showing a much stronger commitment to the academy and the ghost program. The fact the migraines had stopped meant she was no longer obsessing with her past, and had accepted her new lot in life. Twilight felt Sweetie Belle was ready for her next level of training, and to be shown the true purpose of her being here.

“Sweetie Belle you’ve come along way. I’m sure by now, you’ve released there is something special about your particular power,” said Twilight. “You aren’t really any stronger than the average student, but you do have a unique ability to impose emotions on others.”

“How do you figure?” asked Sweetie Belle.

“Most people who work at this facility are trained to resist psychic intrusion, but we can still feel whenever we’re attacked. You don’t seem to notice it, but whenever you get frustrated, or excited, to a degree so does everyone around you," explained Twilight. "As I said, most of the staff here isn’t affected, but a few days ago when you were practicing your unarmed combat, many of the non-essential staff were becoming more irritable. Two of them even got in a fist fight.”

“But I lived on Mar Sara my whole life, and it never seemed to happen there,” replied Sweetie Belle.

“Your power was still buried. Whatever caused your powers to unlock, also unlocked that ability as well," explained Twilight. "That being said, until you learn to control it, you are a danger to all of those around you.”

She isn’t lying about your power. That signal you sent that day you were singing was being felt by everyone. It’s also how you managed to awaken my mind. It’s how I knew to reach out to you.

“Fortunately, it only seems to happen during extreme emotions. Even then, the effect seems minor. But I think there is a way we can trigger a more powerful controlled effect. I know it’s a long shot, but can you think of anything that seems to trigger it in particular?” asked Twilight.

Sweetie Belle thought back to her encounter with the zerg in the cave. She was right that she couldn’t control it by sheer will alone, but singing seems to activate it.

Singing? So that’s how you do it? By the way, I know she is a heartless witch, but wow. Your teacher is hot!

“Hey!” shouted Sweetie Belle.

“What?” asked Twilight.

“Nothing!" snapped Sweetie.

Sing something relaxing. She isn’t on guard right now. If you can weaken her, I might be able to access her thoughts.

I don’t think that’s a good idea. Thought Sweetie Belle. She is a lot stronger than I am. If she finds out you’re in my head, she’ll turn that device back on.

You’re a lot stronger than you think. Tell her she’s been a big sister to you. Butter her up, then sing a song of appreciation. That should do the trick.

“So, do you know if anything in particular triggers your power?” asked Twilight.

“I’m sorry. I can’t think of anything. I didn’t even know I could do that,” lied Sweetie Belle.

“Well it’s ok Sweetie. We’ll figure it out. Let’s get some lunch, and then we’ll continue your training,” said Twilight.

Hurry up! The faster I can probe her mind, the faster I can get back to my body, and the sooner you can stop showering with your eyes closed. Which by the way I think is very arrogant of you. Someone has way too high an opinion of herself.

Sweetie Belle was filling with rage at his comment. Ordinarily she’d let it slide, but having to put up with him day after day for the last two weeks was rapidly eating away at her patience. If sucking up to Twilight could get him out of her head, it was well worth it.

“Twilight wait,” said Sweetie Belle. It was time to put her acting to the test.

“What is it Sweetie?” she replied.

“Well. I’d just like to say I’m sorry for being so difficult the first few days," said Sweetie. "It was just hard adjusting. Thanks for being so patient.”

“Well that’s a very mature thing of you to say Sweetie Belle. I accept your apology,” said Twilight.

“And also. Thanks for all the training. You’ve been… like a… big… sister to me. I can’t think of... anyone else… I’d rather have training me.” Sweetie Belle felt like she was going to vomit from saying those words.

“Awww. That is so sweet! I am so glad you think of me that way,” she said giving her honorary little sister a hug. “I just know we are going to make such a good team when you finish your training.”

What are you doing? You’re supposed to fill yourself with happy relaxing emotions. Not disgust! Hurry up and sing!

Sweetie Belle fought back her anger, and then composed herself for the next phase. “Twilight. Can I sing you a song to show you how much you mean to me?”

“That is just the cutest thing I’ve ever heard! Sure thing Sweetie, let’s hear it,” said Twilight.

Hush now, quiet now, time to lay your sleepy head

Hush now, quiet now, it’s time to go to bed.

Drifting off to sleep, an exciting day behind you

Drifting off to sleep, let the joy of dream land find you.

“Wow... That song… sure was… lovely,” Twilight fell over on her side fast asleep.

That wasn’t what I had in mind, but I can’t argue with results!

“That wasn’t what I had in mind either. I thought the song would relax her, not knock her out cold. I’ll have to remember that trick.”

Her guard was down; I doubt she’ll let that happen a second time. Hold on; let me see what she knows. Umm hmm… yes that’s very interesting. Oh my, that is indeed an exciting discovery. Wow, I didn’t know that. Ok, I don't think I needed to know that. Hmm, you learn something new every day. Oh, I like what she did there.

“Are you done?!”

With what?

"Probing her mind for the location of your body so I can get you out of my head!"

Oh, I did that while she was listening to you sing. Head to the nearest elevator, sub level three. Use access code “lesson zero 101511.”

“Sure, just let me stop by the mess hall first. I need to find a fork so I can shove into your eyes when I find your body.”

Before you do that, I’d highly recommend killing her before we leave. Sweetie Belle ignored the comment and continued to the elevator. She hadn’t killed anyone before, and she saw no reason to start now. You have no idea how long she’ll be out. Not to mention she already caught us both once. I’m just saying, you could save us both a lot of trouble if we just knock it out of the way right now. All it would take is a small amount of pressure to the curative artery and…

“WILL YOU SHUT UP!” she shouted as the elevator doors opened. The people inside gave her a very cold glare as they exited. “Sorry…” she hung her head in embarrassment and entered the elevator. “Elevator, Sub level three.”

ACCESS CODE REQUIRED.

“What was the access code?... Hello… come on I know you’re in there… say something!”

Oh I’m sorry; I thought you wanted me to shut up.

“Well now I want you to talk! What was the access code?”

Just like a mare. Says one thing, but means another. No matter what part of the sector you go to, some things just don’t change.

“Oh come on!”

INCORRECT. ACCESS DENIED

Sweetie Belle took a deep breath. “Ok listen; I’m sorry for yelling alright. It’s just been a busy month. I’ve been kidnapped, trained to be an assassin against my will, and forced to share my mind with a stranger. I’m just having a hard time. Can find it in your heart to forgive me?”

Well it takes a big mare to admit when she made a mistake, I accept your apology.

“Ok, so can you please tell me the access code again?”

I would, but I don’t want to have a fork shoved into my eye socket when I wake up. I guess that puts us at a bit of an impasse doesn’t it?

“I was joking. I don’t even have a fork.”

You have a pen. That could work.

“So you’re giving me ideas now? Wait a minute, why are you arguing? Don’t you want to get out of here?”

Point taken. Lesson zero 101511

“Elevator, sub level three. Access code lesson zero 101511”

ACCESS GRANTED

The elevator took them to the sub level, and the voice in Sweetie Belle's head guided her to the intended destination. The security guards didn’t seem to stop Sweetie Belle at all. Seeing her in ghost armor, they assumed she was on official business, and no security guard dared to question a ghost.

Finally Sweetie Belle arrived at her destination. It was a massive machine of some sort surrounding a cryo pod. Sweetie Bell followed the voices instruction's on how to open the pod, releasing the prisoner within. A young stallion fell from the pod. His sides had a small tattoo that she had recognized during her studies with Twilight. The stallion was one of the Khalai.

PreviousChapters Next