• Published 8th Feb 2012
  • 2,364 Views, 26 Comments

Subject of Revenge - AuroraDawn



Trixie gets insane powers and wants more

  • ...
3
 26
 2,364

Act 1 Chapter 2

The Subject of Revenge

By Aurora Dawn

Act 1 Chapter 2

Well this place certainly is... adequate? Trixie hesitantly sniffed the air and grimaced. No matter. A quick show in a place or two like this, and word will spread about Trixie. Soon Trixie will be accepted with open arms- no, demanded! The world will cry out for The Great and Powerful Trixie!
She smirked, parking her caravan in what was hopefully the town square. Flankstown wasn’t much larger than many of the other little towns she used to pass by on her way to better destinations. Even its architecture resembled that of the tiny villages. Instead of the usual brightly coloured and ornate architecture of a city, the houses Trixie had passed were dilapidated and plain.

The area she had parked in was a small opening in the cramped streets of Flankstown. A few enterprising ponies had set up small stands and were bartering for wares, ignoring the wagon in the middle of their town. Many of them, Trixie reasoned, probably thought she was just a random vagrant. Well, they’ll have to be taught a lesson. Trixie is anything but a vagrant.

Trixie sniffed in disapproval, and immediately coughed after inhaling the awful musk of the uncleanly square. Maybe Trixie doesn’t need to begin her new career in such an... eccentric place. She looked around at the visibly bored ponies of the town, and sighed.

“A show’s a show,” Trixie grumbled as she hopped down, pulling a cord from beside the wagon’s door. A small stage unfolded from underneath it. Several ponies started to take notice of this odd display, and they turned from their daily routines to investigate. Trixie smiled as the once-familiar feeling of attention returned to her, and she donned her trademark hat and cape.

“FILLIES AND GENTLECOLTS! Gather around to witness, in awe, the magical prowess of The Great and Powerful Trixie! Watch, and be amazed, as she performs the most outstanding acts of mysticism you shall ever set your eyes upon!”

Several more ponies began to walk up to the stage, sitting down as Trixie’s display started increasing in bravado.

“Never before has a pony of such power been seen, but today, pleasant -ugh- citizens of Flankstown, I bring you... TRIXIE!” With her name came a wondrous display of fireworks from behind the caravan. Some ponies in the crowd looked disturbed by her attitude, but loud “ooh”s distracted Trixie from worrying about it.

Trixie kept her display up, pulling bouquets of flowers out of the air and tossing them into the crowd. With the last bundle of flowers, she threw them high before lassoing them with a magically controlled rope. The rope flung them back at her, and she jumped and caught the flowers with her mouth. She gave a bow, and the flowers disappeared.

More fireworks, that’s it. Make ‘em laugh. Like dad used to say, entertainment without humor is a book without words. That grey pony there isn’t laughing. Well.
She was hovering high in the air, juggling bowling balls over the heads of the crowd. With a quick clap of her hooves, the particular grey earth pony was shocked as Trixie enveloped him in magic. He looked around frantically, his dark red mane and tail whipping those beside him as he struggled against the aura.

“The Great and Powerful Trixie sees that somepony isn’t enjoying the show,” she announced loudly. “Trixie thinks you should lighten up.” With that, to the great amusement of the crowd, she lifted the grey pony high into the air, bringing him face to face with her. Still effortlessly juggling the heavy spheres, she spoke to him, never dropping her persona.

“Hello.”

“W-wh-what are you doing!?” The grey pony panicked. Trixie laughed loudly, enjoying his reaction.

“Relax! You’re perfectly safe in the hooves of the Great and Powerful Trixie! In fact, you’d be safer in the hooves of Trixie!” She giggled again, and set one of the bowling balls down on her stage while moving the grey earth pony to where the ball had just been. The crowd below roared in hilarity. As she juggled the confused pony, she talked to him.

“What’s your name?”

“Wh- my name? It’s...” Trixie tossed him in the air.

“Hold on, Trixie can’t hear you! Okay, go!”

“My name is...” She threw him high again. “...ter. Put me down!”

“Trixie didn’t catch that. Your name first! You wish to be respected by Trixie, you must first respect her!”

“It’s Strater! Strater Hooves! Let me go, please!” The absurdity of the situation had gotten to the grey pony, and despite his pleading he couldn’t help but laugh.

“Don’t be such a grump, Strater. These ponies here, you see them? They’re just here for a show, and only the Amazing Trixie can deliver for them! Give me something, Strater. Let’s put on a show for these ponies. Celestia knows, in a place like Flankstown ... -ew-... something actually happening is a rare treat!”

Some of the audience looked taken aback, insulted by the comments directed at their hometown. The rest just chuckled. Sadly, they thought, she was right.

“Okay, fine,” Strater sighed dejectedly. “Just stop juggling me!”

“Deal,” Trixie laughed sadistically. She felt on top of the world.

“What do you want to know?”

“What’s your cutie mark for? Really, a protractor over a map? What’s that mean?”

“I’m a tactician. I’m perfect at organizing and anticipating.”

“Bet you sure didn’t anticipate... This!” Trixie made him vanish suddenly, and he appeared on the stage below her. She slowly drifted down and landed next to him. “So tell me, Strater, let the whole audience know. What is the Great and Wonderful Trixie about to do next? What should you do?”

Strater glared playfully for a second, considering the arrogant blue unicorn in front of him.

“Firewo-” he began, only to be cut off by a dazzling display of lights behind him. An echoing “ahh” came from the crowd, and Trixie pouted for half a second.

“A lucky guess! But how many can you get in a r-”

“Rope tricks!” Strater jumped three feet to the side as several snakes of animated cord missed their marks and collided with each other where he had just stood.

“Oh, pony wants to play! No problem. The Great and Powerful Trixie enjoys a challenge!” Trixie reared, bringing her legs down powerfully onto the wooden stage, and disappeared in a cloud of smoke. Strater curiously picked his way around the stage, and the whole audience fell quiet in suspense, waiting for what would come next.

Strater paused, suddenly, and then dove out of the way. A bucket of water appeared over the stage and poured onto the vacant floor. Strater skipped to the centre of the platform, and waited. His proud smile slowly faded into confusion, as what he had been expecting failed to happen.

Strater jumped to the side and rolled, deftly avoiding... nothing. He stared wildly at the audience as the ponies started to chuckle at him. He rolled to get up, and suddenly found himself splashing into a trough that, moments before, had not existed. A condescending giggle echoed from an indiscernible direction. Climbing out and shaking himself off, he started to run to the other end of the stage. Strater stopped quickly before the edge, holding dead still, and a door appeared inches in front of his muzzle. He reached forward and opened it, and waved hello to the fuming pony waiting behind.

“It all comes down to predictability! What are others most likely to do based on my actions?” He laughed at her. “I walked slowly enough to convince you to try to douse me. Then, when I was moving fast enough, it presented a good opportunity for you to try to make me look like an idiot by hitting something. That trough was a nice touch, though. That aside; constantly reviewing your own actions. I’ve been practicing that for years!”

He beamed to the crowd, giving a slight bow.

“You think you’re better than the Great and Powerful Trixie? You think you can beat me at my own game? You haven’t seen my true might!”

“Well, until you give me something to work with, yes, I do think I’m better than you!” He winked slyly, and several ponies in the crowd called out Strater’s name in support.

“RRRRRRGHH!” Trixie growled and bent low, challenging the grey stallion in front of her. Her horn suddenly began to emanate energy, shining brighter than it had in weeks. The ground started to shake, and to the shock and dismay of the ponies in the crowd giant shards of granite erupted around them, capturing them in a circle of rock. With a flick of her neck, black clouds started forming around the circle, swirling into a thunderous maelstrom. A great wind spun the clouds until a small funnel cloud poked out from the center. It reached down towards Strater, who was frozen with fear and could only cringe as the whirlwind engulfed him. The cloud reached back up into itself, and with a massive crack of lightning, the thunderhead dissipated. Strater, however, was nowhere to be seen. The ponies of Flankstown looked up in awe as the granite cage receded back into the ground. Some were shaking. Others were crying.

Then there was a stomp. And another. Trixie still stood defensively, facing the crowd and panting heavily as her rage subsided. She blinked several times, before relaxing. The stomping noises started to come faster and louder, and cheers began to erupt from her audience. Trixie bowed to the applause, and with a twirl of her cape and a final burst of fireworks, she teleported from the stage.

---

“So,” Trixie spoke to her still-startled guest, smirking as the grey pony struggled against the ropes binding his legs together. She removed her hat and cape as she walked around her home, and set them on a counter. “If I take the gag out of your mouth, you promise to be quiet and let Trixie explain her proposition?”

Strater rolled his eyes, taking in the details of the caravan. He tugged his legs again, the taut ropes refusing to yield. There was only one door leading out of the caravan, and his captor was standing in front of it. Defeated, Strater sighed and nodded. With a flash of blue light, the gag left his mouth and settled on a table.

“I get tossing me in here for the show, but this is going a little far, you know?”

“Hush. Trixie only keeps those useful to her around. Now, the proposition. How would-”

“That whole talking in third-person thing is really annoying, too.”

Trixie started to move the gag back to Strater’s mouth, and he started tugging at his binds again.

“No! No! It’s okay! I’ll listen! Sorry! Not the gag!”

“Good. As I was trying to say; The Great and Powerful Trixie does more than entertain. She strives for excellence, and Trixie only gets excellence by constantly improving herself and her show. You saw how powerful Trixie really is, didn’t you?”

“Sure did. Scared the manure out of me. I’ve never seen magic like that before, except at the Summer Sun Celebration.”

Trixie noted that fact in her mind, and continued. “You’re good. Really good. You could help Trixie become better. Now, let Trixie do a little guesswork of her own here. Flankstown really has very little use for a tactician. You are often incredibly bored, and only get excited on the rare occasions you get to play fantasy games that require a lot of planning. Today was probably the most eventful day of your life, right?”

“... Son of a shed, you’re dead on with that. So how can I help Tri- er, you?”

“Join Trixie, and you get to have an exciting life on the road. You can teach her how to be less predictable, and The Great Trixie will show you what it’s like to actually experience adventure. Deal?”

Strater was quiet for a moment, contemplating. Trixie waited impatiently, examining her hooves and pouting.

“Okay. I’ve made up my mind.”

“About time. What do you say?”

“It’s hard to shake on a deal when my legs are tied.”

“Smartass.” The ropes unknotted themselves and settled onto the floor, and Strater rolled onto his hooves. With an excited smile, he extended a foreleg, and they shook.

“It’ll be a pleasure working with you,” he chided with a sarcastic wink.

“If it’s not, and you make Trixie look bad...” she trailed, and the caravan lurched, throwing Strater onto his side. “You’ll end up on the side of the road before even you know it.”

---

I’d like to thank the crew in #EquestrianStudy, especially Silfir, Foolonthehillz, Bennet, and Autumn Wind, for help with editing and pre-reading this fiction. Thanks for putting up with me randomly stopping conversation to find the right words for this fiction, guys. =D

If you loved or hated the fiction, or have anything to say to me, feel free to drop me a line at AuroraDawn.mlp at gmail.com. I appreciate any comments I get!

---

Disclaimer: This is a work of fan made fiction, based on the animated show “My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.” I do not own, nor lay any claim to My Little Pony or any related intellectual property.

This work was made entirely for entertainment value and as a tribute to the amazing work of the Friendship is Magic production team. It is not, and will never be, distributed for profit.