The Writers' Group 9,281 members · 56,324 stories
Comments ( 15 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 15

Alright, I want to get this straight once and for all.

I know that for movies, novels and albums, you have to italicize them (e.g. Batman, The Shining, The Dark Side of the Moon, that sort of thing.) And for other things you have to put them in quotation marks, like short stories, songs and poems (e.g. "The Fall of the House of Usher," "Bohemian Rhapsody," "The Raven," etc.) But there are other things I'm unclear about.

What are the rules for italicizing other things? Such as:
-TV shows
-Episodes of TV shows
-Comic series
-Video games
-Chapters from novels
And other things like that?

Please tell me, because I'm really confused. I've seen MLP written as "My Little Pony" and as My Little Pony. Which is correct?

-Kirb, possibly on drugs. (ytdatr)

Italicize everything and hope for the best.

In all seriousness, MLP should be capitilized, book titles, movie titles, everything listed. If you go into writing using it then you use it for emphasis and stuff like that. Along with thoughts for characters and sometimes people use it for when there are diary entries and books being read whether it's in quotations or not.

ThatWeatherstormChap
Group Contributor

I think italics is the proper way to do it, at least from a university standing, but I'd stick quotations marks around it as well simply because you can.
In fact, italicize, use quotation marks, underline, use bold, use citations, and change the font size, style and colour.
It'll look awful but you'll have all the bases covered.

It matters if it is a direct reference- such as if I say, "I am talking about bunnies will one day eat my bum". In that case, I am referring to something, where as if I, perse, am making an editorial- it's often apparent to me that quotation marks are a way of bringing something up that is a part of something that was addressed in italics.

bunnies will one day eat my bum, was a short novel written by a man named G. Liberal Humburger, and on the fifth chapter, page 46, "Hump days are critically acclaimed to be the stupidest and most annoying thing ever", it got quite a lot of criticism.

That, to me, is what it is about.

Essentially- when referring to something, such as a TV show, comic, whatever in a novel, it is in italics. If spoken by someone, it is also in italics. If accentuated by someone, it is both quotation and italics.

I may be wrong, but that is my general view of it. Also- more importantly rather- regardless of who is viewing or what it is printed on; IE, news article or fan fiction, it entirely depends on the author's choice of format. If it makes sense to the author (and the reader), then it is proper.

Hope that helped out a little.

If you ever have a name of something, specifically a ship, it's grammatically proper to italicize them. Such as the U.S.S. Yorktown or the Queen Mary.

In the situations you're concerned with, italics are the proper way, but they're also all interchangeable with quotations. But they should be italix. Quotations are for lazy people (or people that don't have italix handy at the moment).

italics are for longer works, quotations are for shorter ones. that's how i remember it, although remember pamphlets are also italicized (god only knows why lol).

my little pony: friendship is magic -- show, italicized
"the ticket master" -- episode, italics
catwoman -- comic, italics
fallout: new vegas -- video game, italics
"chapter 47: the rotting giraffe forest" -- chapter, quotes

if it's long, italicize it
if it's short, quote it
if it's somewhere in-between, ask uncle google. XD

All right, I'll give you some help because everyone thinks they have the right answer, but everyone is only partially right here. You italicize the titles of things, such as the names of books, movies, and I guess ships. However, you quote parts of a whole. For example . . .

You italicize My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, but you would quote "Party of One." Italics and quotes ARE NOT interchangeable. They have specific uses for specific situations. But honestly, that's really all that's to it. You would italicize the names of games, comic books, and TV shows, but you quote episodes and chapters. And a fun one is poems. Usually, you will quote them because the majority of all poems are published in a larger work. However, you would technically italicize a poem if it was some how published on its own. Simply keep these things in mind when you question whether it should be quoted or italicized.

Thanks to all for your responses! I think I get it now, you were all very helpful. :twilightsmile:

-Kirb, possibly on drugs. (ytdatr)

4097108 Much love. <3

This all largely depends on context, I think. Are you mentioning it in a story dialogue or in a paper you're writing? Because in dialogue, italics generally denotes stress.

4096847 4098467

Source: Purdue OWL

Underlining and Italics are often used interchangeably. Before word-processing programs were widely available, writers would underline certain words to indicate to publishers to italicize whatever was underlined. Although the general trend has been moving toward italicizing instead of underlining, you should remain consistent with your choice throughout your paper. To be safe, you could check with your teacher to find out which he/she prefers. Italicize the titles of magazines, books, newspapers, academic journals, films, television shows, long poems, plays of three or more acts, operas, musical albums, works of art, websites, and individual trains, planes, or ships.

Italicize foreign words.
Semper fi, the motto of the U.S. Marine Corps, means "always faithful."

Italicize a word or phrase to add emphasis.
The truth is of utmost concern!

Italicize a word when referring to that word.
The word justice is often misunderstood and therefore misused.

Formally, it often depends which style guide you're using. If you're writing professionally, ask your editor which style guide to use, then look it up; it should have clear rules on this sort of thing.

In casual writing, you can usually get away with doing either one. Personally, I like to always italicize. I see quotation marks being a substitute for italics when italics can't be used, as in handwriting or online posts that don't allow formatting. In a story, I would never use quote marks -- they'd be too likely to be mistaken for dialog at first.

You can also underline titles... :trollestia:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 15