Society of Unappreciated Talent 234 members · 74 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2
PureLogic
Group Contributor

Adventures in Cake Sitting by JMac
Reviewed by none other than the Purest of Logics, PureLogic.

This is another Quizzical Greystone story, as well as a sequel to his hit story, Quizzical. Now, make sure to note that I still have not read Quizzical, but I did understand this story. So this may as well be a stand-alone story. It's a quickie, too. Perfect if you're in a pick-me-up mood. Positively filled with the usual 'Pinkie humor' as well. Possibly one or two aspects I didn't quite catch having not read Quizzical, but they didn't apply to the story much at all.

The story begins rather innocently with Diamond Tiara ripping Quiz off by trading her Helping Hooves Day job with Quiz's. Foalsitting with Pinkie Pie. What could possibly go wrong? Well, the twins' don't take kindly to new foal-sitters. In Pinkie's words, the foals "These kids chew up new foal sitters like lawn mowers chew up the toys you lost on your lawn in the high grass". Very colorful wording, JMac. I applaud thee. It's actually filled with colorful statements. Very creative.

Things progress from there rather nicely with just the smallest mention of blizzards, ever-lasting winter, windigos, and an unconscious Pinkie Pie. But hey, what could go any worse? Well, it seems the twins are really very good at destroying things. Such as... I don't know, the Cake's entire living room? Ductwork is included. Innocent enough. Pinkie is having a jubilant dream party, Quiz is bargaining with congratulatory cookies, and the twins are playing hide 'n' seek. I find this in particular gave me the gigglies. Nothing worse could possibly happen.

Until the heater breaks down. Okay... She can deal. She selflessly devotes the time to keeping Pinkie and the twins warm using her wits and lots of pillows. Picture perfect if you ask me. Vivid portraying and the large use of logic. Logic like-y, heh heh. A few troubles persist (read the story) but they really show Quiz's selfless side. It ends heartwarmingly, with a lovely flugelhorn solo from Pinkie and a hug from Quiz's wondrous mother. Some tears were shed, some d'awws were d'aww'ed.

All in all, taking into play just the slightest mistakes (honest mistakes I make daily), I give it nine out of ten pinkie smiles for being well written, humorous, and original. Very original.
:pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy:
Now, excuse me while I go and finally read Quizzical.

Or... I procrastinate per usual.

3118791 Thank you. Very well written review (though I admit I may be biased).

Though I did try to make this a stand-alone, though there are call backs to earlier stories. For the background on the story Quiz tells about Belle and the fire you need to read chapter 8 of Thweet Geniuth. As for how Quiz acquired the nickname Hypothetical Projectile...that's complicated.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2