The Pleasant Commentator and Review Group! 1,289 members · 149 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4

Alright! It's time for my first official review on this site, so let's get it on!!!:flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage:
The story I read today was A Family of Her Own by HyperBlossom7. Without further adieu, let's get started! (expect some small spoilers)

Mood
The story is in 3rd person view, and it mainly focuses on Scootaloo. This story does a good job keeping with its third person narrative through the three chapters of the story, And a third person narrative isn't something one can easily do wrong in a story.

Presentation: As for the style of the fic, the environment that the author conveyed was very bare-bones. I never really felt an attachment to the world the author created, and I felt that if the author described the environment a bit more vividly, or even did something as simple as describing the places they went to would've been an improvement, I had to use my imagination to see the story play out, which I guess is alright for someponies, but I like a little description here and there.

FLOW
This is where I had one of my biggest problems with the story, I felt the flow of the story was much too fast. For a sad story, I believe that it needs to dial down a bit, giving the reader time to actually grow an attachment with Scootaloo and what she's going through. There were several spots in the story where I felt where the author could've elaborated the situation a bit more. I could excuse some instances of plot convenience, mainly the part with Pinkie because well, she's Pinkie! The text was written well, the story moved slowly, and there was never really to big of a jump between two different places. I felt for this story, you jumped a little quicker than your average sad story, I felt this is more of a short summary of the major events of the story, and It could've been longer, maybe even further exploring Scootaloo's feelings of lonliness during the story.
MOOD
{Warning, some spoilers here! read at your own risk!}I believe that the author was trying to convey a feeling of sadness, so that the reader could empathize with Scootaloo. For the most part, the feeling of sadness for Scootaloo as the main point in the story was well done for the story. There weren't many places where I felt that the stories were lacking in feelings. The little exchange in the CMC clubhouse I can see being in an episode of the show. The exchange between Scoots and RD was nice and very believable, and the end of the story left me feeling warm and cuddly inside, which is what a good fic needs to do.

GRAMMAR
Alright, for grammar, I felt that you did better than other beginning writers on this site. I found a few spelling errors, but nothing too noticeable when reading it. Punctuation could use some improvement, there were some spots all through the story that were just begging for a comma, or to get rid of a comma. In this, I give the author a B just run through it with a punctuation check and you're gold in this department.

FINAL THOUGHTS
Personally, I liked this story, it had a rocky beginning, a decent middle, and a heart warming ending. This story's main problem I feel it's too bare-bones. I felt it had way more potential that it used in the story. If you added a few more chapters, maybe expanded on some of the dialog between characters, and fix what I consider to be a bit of a confusing plot point, (I'll PM the author of the story my thoughts on this later), you'd have a wonderful Scootaloo story that's even better than this one. That's not to say I disliked the story, I just felt the concept of Scoots finding her family could've been improved apon. Bottom line, It's an ok story, a good story for a first fic, and In my mind, one that can be made even better!:pinkiehappy:

This has been the first review by Azure_Shadow! Expect more soon!

Tidal
Group Admin

Nice job! :pinkiehappy:

Thanks for reviewing my fic. This is why I submitted my first ever fanfic on this site to this group so I could improve on it.

Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

Mood

Check the coding there.

Last line in Mood should be execution presentation. or visa versa

the story play out, which I guess is alright for someponies, but I like a little description here and there.

"is to its"

Those are the only errors I could find, and easily fixed. Great job for a first!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4