The Pleasant Commentator and Review Group! 1,289 members · 149 stories
Comments ( 3 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 3
Tidal
Group Admin

So Its been a while since I've done a review... I just found out my job is closing down. :applecry: So I figured getting back into reviewing stories in the sad folder would help me feel much better cause sad stories are awesome! (Y'all are probably like :rainbowhuh:) lol. Anyway

TIDAL IS HERE!

Today I'm reviewing a story from my co-reviewer, She's a great writer so I'm excited! Lets get started!

Zecora had travelled far from her homeland, a place full of bliss and joy, in search for a new life with many joyful companions and trustworthy friends. But when ostracized from everypony nearby, isolation clung to her and drilled loneliness into her heart, leaving her in despair, with only her regretful memories and broken hopes as company.

Set before the episode 'Bridle Gossip'.

Man. This description really sets the mood already. That last sentence makes you just :fluttercry: I always liked Zecora and I felt like her character could use some more back story. Looks like I'm about to get it.
(There is the possibility of minor spoilers. Here is your warning)

REVIEW

FEELS METER
I'll stay traditional with my feels meter, and then grade the rest of the story the way it's supposed to be. As you're reading this story you get to really experience what Zecora was going through. The writer beautifully captures Zecora to me, and as the story progresses you just can't help but be mad at all the ponies that treated her so terribly in the show. 8 out of 10

EXECUTION/PRESENTATION
Point of view
The story is in 3rd person, and stays that way throughout. We know all of Zecora's thoughts, her feelings, and surroundings. No improvement needed here, it's well done! :twilightsmile:

Style
The story takes place partially in the gloomy Everfree Forest, and then partial in the home of Zecora herself. The writer does a great job describing the forest as dark and spooky, just like it is!

Kicking a pebble, she continued to journey through the untamed forest. She passed the nests of multiple feral cats, and careful not to awake them

and

she walked through the undergrowth. Brushing against a hollow, dead tree, she scraped her side, and a few bats flew out of the tree's branches and flew away, screeching and hollering.

Are good examples. Things like this make it easy for me to place myself in the story and imagine it as a movie in my head. These scenes were quick, but very nicely descriptive, so I definitely liked it.

Flow
This story is a 1,337 word one shot. However even though it was short the pacing was nice, and like I said before it was nicely descriptive! Easy to read and definitely worthy of being in the sad folder.

MOOD
Intended Mood
After actually reading the story, it seems the writer was going for a sad, feel bad story.

But now, all she wanted was to have a home... A real home, with friends, and family, and love, and care. She had none of it, but desired it more than anything else. That desire grasped at her wise, wary skin, and pulled her away from all her trespasses, urging her to find a place to call home. Clinging to her, blocking her way, demanding closure. But who was there to love, when all that she was given was thrown away?

Wow. Anyone who thought Zecora was weird or "different" and decided to ignore her for it should be ashamed of themselves. If I was a pony I'd be nice to Zecora, cause this is just awful.
Received Mood
That is exactly how I felt. I felt bad for Zecora at the first sentence, imagine how I felt halfway through it! The writer made it worse by having Zecora look at her different masks and trinkets throughout her house and remember how happy her life was in her homeland. She had different masks, with different meanings... but one masks meaning really hurt,

Isolation lasts forever.

:pinkiesad2:

GRAMMAR
So the writer's previous stories are nearly absent of any type of grammatical error. (On a less professional note Narwhal loves to correct my grammar at times because... well she's a mean person. lol) but I do believe I found an error or two!

It was just a simple tree, that she had decorated to remembrance of her homeland, but it wasn't a place to call home.

I believe putting a which in here instead of that might've made the sentence sound a little nicer.
"It was just a simple tree, which she had decorated to remembrance of her homeland, but it wasn't a place to call home." see? or replace to remembrance with in remembrance. Something like that. One more.

often accompanied by chants and vocal tunes

See that extra space between by and chants? I see it! :twilightsheepish: This happens a few times but it's not too bad. (Also Narwhal... in the description... you put "travelled" :facehoof:) Lol with these super tiny errors I think this story deserves an A! If I had any smiley face stickers I'd put one on here.

TIPS AND HIGH-HOOF
Tips
Give me more. I wanna see more. lol. No but seriously besides the like three grammar errors, there was nothing I saw that needed working on. It is a one shot that successfully shows us Zecora before she meets the mane 6. Well done Narwhal, I honestly think this story was written very well, and it left a little soft spot in my heart for Zecora.
High-Hoof
I would like to give great praise to a section of the story that talks about a... dance, a certain tradition if I may call it that. I won't spoil any of it, but the writer did an excellent job coming up with a believable tradition for Zecora and her homeland, which we know nothing about. Then after not only creating it, tying it into the story for a very sad ending. I loved it. So creative and allowing us to see even more into Zecora's character. Well done!

RATING: I RECOMMEND THIS STORY
I think this story will be enjoyable to everypony. It was not a tear jerker, but it was still a very sad story about the mystical Zecora. :fluttercry: I would check it out! I already follow Narwhal, and this story earned a like and fav from me.

Isolation lasts forever.

Very powerful line to me. However with friendship... anything is possible :pinkiehappy:

This has been a review from Tidal. I love you all! Till we see each other again.

Can somepony give Zecora a hug? She needs it right now.

Using control-f, I found like 10 double spaces. :facehoof:

:yay: Yay for grammar!

Tidal
Group Admin

2776070 I felt weird correcting you on grammar... :twilightsheepish:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3