The Pleasant Commentator and Review Group! 1,288 members · 149 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8
Tidal
Group Admin

So I introduced myself to my Co-reviewer NarwhalUnicorn and after we had an epic gif battle I told her I would review stories in our sad folder from the bottom up. Unlucky for her, her story was at the bottom.... Lucky for you? It was really good.

This is the review for Dear Daddy By NarwhalUnicorn.
All aboard the feels mobile.

FEELS METER
This story has the potential to be very emotional for some people, It had an impact on me for sure. Those who have lost family members in the past be ready. It hits 9 out of 10 on my feels meter.

Mood
This story starts off immediately with Dashie's letter to her now deceased father, and it really just goes from there. Rainbow has many regrets in this story, and she picked a hell of a time to tell her father that. When he can't actually hear it. She writes her apologizes, her wishes, and her feelings in this letter. The letter has a sad lonely feeling throughout. The story was short, sad, and to the feels.

Grammar
When you read a story that you can relate to, its hard to really pick up on errors. But when I went back and re-read it for the sake of the review, I have to say the Grammar is nearly flawless. The one thing I caught onto was the use of ellipsis was maybe a little too much. For those who aren't aware ellipsis is the use of (...) in writing. To me it seemed that the use of ellipsis wasn't really needed for a story completely in a written 1st person format, usually whenever I write a letter on paper, whenever I pause to think, I don't use ellipsis while I plan out my next few words. (I do the same thing in my writing, so I feel weird commenting about this. This is just my opinion, others may think differently.) But seeing as this is a Fimfic I will not really count it as being a real issue. I will give the grammar a 4 out of 5.

Style
The story was again, told right from the hooves (or mouth? Since that's how she writes?) of Rainbow Dash. The only thing I think would've been cool was a little bit of Rainbow outside the letter. Like if she got up and paced the room, or grabbed a box in her closet full of her dad's stuff. Something like that! She apologizes quite a bit in the letter... having her reach up and grab something special that reminded her of him (Like a feather of his or something) While she wrote those apologizes would've been tragically sad. The story was expertly executed the way it was written however, I could see Rainbow sitting down and spilling her emotions down on paper as one last goodbye. You wrote well for her and and since I have lost a family member that was dear to me the story did bring back memories to my mind and tears to my eyes.

Final score would have to be A Must Read

I suggest this story to readers who enjoy any type of genre, It is overall a well written sad story.

But to those who might have regrets... or maybe even need the courage to say goodbye to someone you've lost, reading the words of Rainbow Dash might help you to move on. :twilightsmile:

I FORGOT TO MENTION! This story does have a sequel that I will do the review for as well (since Narwhal can't review her own stories lol) To be fair to the other stories submitted I will review that sequel after I reviewed a few other stories.

That story is going to go into my 'Things to read when I am depressed or after watching anything Mother 3-related' mental folder. I want to read it.

Tidal
Group Admin

2619359 My dad had a heart attack, so this was like :applecry::applecry::applecry::applecry::applecry::applecry:

I didn't even mind that it wasn't revealed what exactly happened to her dad, Its almost like you can take that opportunity to fill in the blank with your own situation. Very smart Narwhal... very smart

I didn't grow up with my dad, but just emulating the feeling of losing my mother in my mind is too heartbreaking for me.

Tidal
Group Admin

2619451 I understand :pinkiesad2:

I'm sorry for your loss. But, grief enjoys company. If you feel sad, we can feel sad together if you want.

Tidal
Group Admin

2619502 That's why I love the brony community! :pinkiehappy: I am a normally an unnaturally happy person but sometimes I get a little down in the dumps. Thank you, I'm feeling better already!

I'm glad I was able to cheer you up today. After all, the joy of making others happy is a reward in itself.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8