The Pleasant Commentator and Review Group! 1,289 members · 149 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4

(Reviewer's note: Sorry about the late review...school got really busy. I plan to pick up the pace after exams are finished)

Hello everypony and welcome to Level Headed Reviews! Today I'm gonna review The Strange Cases of Twilight Sparkle by DracoGlyph.

(For awesome review-reader music)

Basically, this book reminds me of the Twilight Zone .
(Pic By RJDaae)

Every day, some weird phenomena happens to Twilight which eventually turns out to be based on a Rule of the Internet. I already knew this was gonna be interesting based upon my knowledge of the Rules of the Internet.

On to the review!

Execution/Presentation

This story takes on a Third Limited POV when with Twilight in Ponyville, and a Third Omniscient POV when in Canterlot This works really well, because it gives the impression of the the Greek Deities looking down upon a singular hero, with them able to manipulate their life at will.

The story starts off with little introduction to the world, which works for me. Longtime fans do not need an introduction to the world in most fics, but even a newbie can still get the basic understanding of the world.The story mainly focuses upon Twilight, Spike, Celestia, Luna, Discord, Shining Armor, and Cadence. This is just enough characters to give diversity but not too many.

Although I thoroughly enjoyed the story, for me, the flow starts to get a bit boring and repetitious after 36 chapters. The writing itself is nearly flawless, with just the right amount of description, but sometimes less is more. Maybe having Twilight go over a week of Cases in a rant to Spike would keep the integrity of the story but would help shorten it a bit.

Mood

This fic excels in the field of comedy by mixing dramatic irony, slapstick, and just by being funny. Just knowing that Discord's watching her and puling the strings makes me afraid for what she had to get past next.

Grammar
A+
I could not find anything big grammar-wise. Nice job making a coherent story

Overall Rating: Masterpiece

This fic was one of the funniest fics i've read, and they kept it funny through 36 chapters, a very hard feat for myself to think of ever doing. Besides some minor personal-opinion nitpicky stuff, I found that this hit all the notes for a really good comedy, and a really good fic in general.

Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

Remember to put a message on the story linking them to this review. Nicely done.

:derpyderp1: Me? Write a MASTERPIECE? I knew Strange Cases was a good story--I mean 67 likes to one dislike, but I didn't know it was that well liked.

I can't take all the credit, though, My friend Rutilus.Luna helped me with some concepts, like Case 2.

Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

I would recommend finding a good friend to help go through and do some extra editing. After that, submit your story to the Royal Guard. You might just have your story added to their collection.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4