The Language Barrier 642 members · 112 stories
Comments ( 12 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 12

To quote Ranakastrasz's concerns at the front page:

I probably would personally want to exclude any story with translation spells, with some exceptions. If the spell has heavily limited duration, costs, or otherwise is restricted, or the language has to be learned first (Or after, like "A Different Viewpoint of Equestria"), it is generally valid. If not, why, it's almost like you don't have a language barrier at all!

Just saying, they really don't count in those cases.

I'm of the same line of thought. If the barrier's not important to the development of the fic, and easily discarded on top of that, it doesn't belong in a group that deals with that exact plot point. I mean, we don't include a M/M shipfic on a straight shipping group just because other, non-spotlight ponies are on straight pairings, do we?
And based on the four green thumbs our friend's comment has, other members agree.

So yeah, if I'm allowed to, I'm setting up this poll of sorts. Those that agree with a more "purist" view can upvote this post, those that don't downvote it. (Any thoughts would be appreciated as well.) That way, we can "officially" give the suggestion to Subsolar Drift.

3686813 The way I see it, we should allow any story where a language barrier plays a significant role in it, even if it's not the main theme or just in earlier chapters.

Perhaps we can create different folders for when the language barrier is only a secondary aspect.

3687230 Personally, I'm against it, but opinions make the world go around.

Okay, so far it's one for, two against (since I can't thumb up my own comment), and one extra option suggested.

3687273 you might want to check the front page. You said that the comment that sparked this thread had only 4 upvotes. Well, now it has 10. I think people got confused about which post to upvote, so it's more like 7 for and 2 against.

I agree completely. I personally hate when stories use a fix-all translation spell.

3690287 Then please upvote the comment so we can have a formal count.

3688182 I'm not gonna do that. Not because I don't want to reinforce the case, but because I don't have the time. The most I could do was link the comment, and I already did that.

3690360 :rainbowhuh: Wait, huh? I… I just wanted to mention that people might have been a little confused about which comment to upvote. I see your edit on the front page, which will be helpful, but all those people now think their votes are accounted for when they're not. But if you're sure about not counting them, then… carry on, I guess. :applejackunsure:

3690502 You misunderstand. What I meant is that I don't have the time to keep constantly checking up on Ranak's comment, counting the upvotes, and coming back here to re-tally. I work full-time and at night I have university classes, not to mention the PC I have at home is blown.
If you could do that tallying job for me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Also, here's one thing I wanted to comment on but forgot:

you might want to check the front page. You said that the comment that sparked this thread had only 4 upvotes. Well, now it has 10.

It was 4 by the time I posted the thread.

There are fics which eventually have a translation spell occur, but nonetheless there's a big portion of the story before that happens, when there exist a very significant Language Barrier indeed -- one I have in mind is the marvellous "Twilight makes first contact".

With the understanding that such stories are to most definitely remain in the group, I add my vote in the 'purist' column.

But do please keep in mind that it will always remain something of a judgment call (e.g. the language barrier in 'Stardust' is important in the very couple chapters, but the translation spell makes it *almost* but not quite completely vanish afterwards...) I would understand if the judgment call went either way, as that's a corner case...

Okay, we have 4 up, 1 down already. I'll run the poll until the end of the month, then I'll notify Drift about it.

3686813 If there's some restriction (both languages in question need to be atleast somewhat understood by the caster, requires a lot of effort and doesn't last forever, etc.) then it should be allowed.

3706083 My thoughts exactly. The barrier doesn't have to be impenetrable, just present enough for it to matter all along.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 12